Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinning layers. How big is your table? >

Pinning layers. How big is your table?

Pinning layers. How big is your table?

Old 03-22-2018, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I use two floor boards on my dining room table, some people use swimming pool noodles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

This is the Sharon Schamber way.......
Thank you for posting this link! It is such a sensible solution & I have some finished wood that will be perfect. I appreciate you sharing it.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:29 AM

I hadn't thought about a ping pong table but it's worth considering. I have a basement I could put it in and I could leave it set up down there. It sure would be nice for doing anything up to a queen size. Anything bigger goes to the LAer.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:52 AM

When I was doing my quilts this way before I bought my Grace frame I used our large glass patio table, it's 80" x 42".
Old 03-22-2018, 07:10 AM

NJ Quilter--I do the same thing only I use my cutting table.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
How about a couple of lightweight plastic folding tables that, when folded, can rest against a wall or under a bed?
I have been doing exactly this until this week. I had two 48" tables end to end. They're 24" wide. I think they were much easier to work on than the floor. I had them on bed risers to get counter height. The hard plastic surface is nice for pinning, which I do with long, flat-head straight pins held with ear plugs.

Just this week I decided to upgrade my sewing area a bit and I bought two IKEA Alex drawer units, which are designed to hold up a desk. I bridged across them with a flat 24" door, making a table that's 80" long. My DH built some toe-kicks from 2x4's to raise the cabinets to the proper height. I'm still waiting for paint to dry on the door, so the jury is out on whether I'll miss the extra 16". I do like having the drawers and the extra space to walk around in my room. I'm not getting rid of the folding tables, however, because they're good for other things, too. They can also be placed side by side for a smaller square quilt.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I have one of the cutting tables like are sold at JAF with the sides that fold down. Mind you, the sides are never down, lol. I pin from baby up to king size quilts on this table. I use the big binder clips that you can get at the office supply store. I start in the center of the quilt laying out the backing and clamping that in place. Follow with batting and clamp it and then the top and clamp that. I pin about a hand-width apart in each direction. Unclamp and slide the whole quilt sandwich every which way until I'm able to clamp and pin the entire quilt.

It's tedious and tiring to do a king size quilt this way but it sure as heck beats crawling around on the floor!

Yup that's what I do also...
Old 03-23-2018, 06:59 AM

If you're open to other methods other than a table I have a basting frame like this one. The link uses 10ft boards but I didn't have any place to store them that long so I opted for 8ft. boards and stand them in a corner in my sewing room. It only takes about 15 minutes to set it up. I love it, no more sore knees or back. http://www.quilting-tidbits.com/quilt-frames.html
Old 03-23-2018, 07:54 AM

My sister uses a ping pong table set on those bed risers for beds. It works wonderfully! She does have a lot of space.

Dina
Old 03-23-2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I use two floor boards on my dining room table, some people use swimming pool noodles:

This is the Sharon Schamber way.......
Same here. I do put a folding table at the end of my DR table so the quilt is completely supported. My boards are 1 x3s primed white from Home Depot - very inexpensive.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteadyGal View Post
I was thinking of getting a Ping-Pong table rather than kneeling on the floor..

My quilts are usually Queen size, and that's difficult enough but if I want to sew

a King size I'm wondering if the floor is the only way, or might a ping pong table

raised to counter height prove to be easier?

Share how you manage sizable quilts,

I use Sharon Schambers "roll on boards" method. I stopped using pins some time ago and now use either thread or 505 Spray basting. The boards help control the quilt, batting and backing all at one time. Great method for any way you choose to baste.