Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011  NEW >

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Old 03-04-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Wow...everybody's pinwheels look so pretty! I don't think I like mine, but I'm still plugging along. :cry:
I'm not sure I like mine either!
Mine are 9" finished, all different solid colors with a white on white background and it may be too busy for me or maybe the blocks are just too big. I don't know.
I saw a quilt called pinwheel party that has the blocks separated by solid white or white on white blocks and I'm thinking I might do that arrangement. I could live with that maybe with a prairie point sashing or border.
Still thinking!
:-D
I'm in the same boat. Thought about the solid white for a minute then decided it was too plain, for me. So I tried white on white pinwheels. Still a little plain but appears to add 'something' to the block. I've also decided to add sashing 'arggggg'. This quilt appears to a great candidate for charity. :lol:
Old 03-04-2011, 05:08 AM

I need input on sashing, please - should I put any in, if so what?

I vote for no sashing - you already have the dynamic changes with your pattern - I think sashing would detract - but then again - it your beautiful quilt !
Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 PM

More great blocks to admire!
Keep it up everyone.
Today is day 23!

Love the finished quilt for kids!

Re: sashing: lay the blocks on a piece of fabric about 2" apart and see how you like it! I like it without but since it's your quilt you might like it better with.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:24 PM
cjr

I have about 22 made in various sizes. Mine are all scrappy
Old 03-05-2011, 01:47 AM

What size are your pinwheels in the center? Thanks.

Originally Posted by BettyB
well here are some of my pinwheels that I have put into blocks. I have several more pinwheels made.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Sewed what I had this am only 21, gotta go cut some more, still not too far off the number!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:03 PM

Today is day 24!

How is everyone coming along?
I'm hanging in there!
I think I have my final design in my head and just need a few more pinwheels then I hope to applique or embroider something in the white on white blocks between the pinwheels.
I'm also thinking of using the 2" of material I cut off the 10" blocks to make them 8" and sew those strips end to end to make a narrow border around the body of the quilt. I was thinking of a prairie border but that fabric is only 2" wide so that won't work. Also thinking of a piano border but I'm sure I won't have enough strips left for that so I think the multicolored border will do nicely.

:-D :-D
Old 03-06-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Today is day 24!

I'm hanging in there!
I think I have my final design in my head and just need a few more pinwheels then I hope to applique or embroider something in the white on white blocks between the pinwheels.
I'm also thinking of using the 2" of material I cut off the 10" blocks to make them 8" and sew those strips end to end to make a narrow border around the body of the quilt. I was thinking of a prairie border but that fabric is only 2" wide so that won't work. Also thinking of a piano border but I'm sure I won't have enough strips left for that so I think the multicolored border will do nicely.

:-D :-D
Well, I worked on the big pinwheel top last night. I put another narrow border around and am now making a wider border of the matching jelly roll I have; not sure if I will like it, but it is what it is. It's not for me and I know she will love it, even if I don't. It's a rainy day today so a good day to sew. I want to make some more pinwheels but the ones I tried yesterday I didn't care for. Will try some more later today.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:13 AM

[quote=susiequilt]Today is day 24!

I'm hanging in there!

Hanging in there too..just need to put the top together..Did have one row done, and forgot to add the sashing so need to rip it out and add it..
Old 03-06-2011, 04:24 AM

I only have to sandwich together now and i am putting it off because i really don't like this side of quilting :) I will be away for a few days from Tuesday so my will have to wait till i return.