Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011  NEW >

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Old 03-20-2011, 07:05 PM

Well, I guess I'm addicted. I'm making quilts for the craftshow (quick & easy ones, of course) and I can see pinwheels everywhere there are half square triangles involved. This quilt has all different ways to put it together, but I'd not seen it put together with pinwheels... well, I did it. Can't believe how addicting they are! Especially since now pressing them open and are laying flat, I love making them. I am posting the block and then the start of the quilt just layed out but not sewn together yet. I was actually doing this with my daughter in N.C. (long distance) and some friends of hers, we all will have different layouts. I just happen to be way ahead of them because of needing to get things done quickly. Putting 4 blocks together to make the pinwheel gives a 12 1/2" block. I will add a couple borders once this is sewn & it will be done. It's all scraps & stash. BTW, making 1 block gives you two...I love that! The pinwheel is black with chocolate brown dots in a circular shell pattern, hope it shows up.

Original block--1/4 of this
[ATTACH=CONFIG]172693[/ATTACH]

Not sewn yet--just layed out
[ATTACH=CONFIG]172694[/ATTACH]

black with chocolate brown in circular shell pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]172695[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-172688.jpe   attachment-172689.jpe   attachment-172690.jpe  
Old 03-20-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by not_sew_sane
I have finished 72 pinwheels (The picture was taken of 71 pinwheels). But want the finished quilt to be bigger. The pinwheel blocks will be 5 inches when finished. I am looking for suggestions to add size without just adding borders. Something other then pinwheels. Thanks for any suggestions.
This is really nice. I think I would add 1 1/2" border & possibly a 3 1/2" outter border. If using a cute print for outter border, I would use one of the darker solid colors for the inner border, so the eye has a place to stop before getting to the outter border. It won't appear to be too busy then. I can also see a border of 1/2 square triangles (possibly 5") put together in shark's tooth pattern, but would still use darker inner border to stop the eye. Does that help?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by VickiM
Well, I guess I'm addicted. I'm making quilts for the craftshow (quick & easy ones, of course) and I can see pinwheels everywhere there are half square triangles involved. This quilt has all different ways to put it together, but I'd not seen it put together with pinwheels... well, I did it. Can't believe how addicting they are! Especially since now pressing them open and are laying flat, I love making them. I am posting the block and then the start of the quilt just layed out but not sewn together yet. I was actually doing this with my daughter in N.C. (long distance) and some friends of hers, we all will have different layouts. I just happen to be way ahead of them because of needing to get things done quickly. Putting 4 blocks together to make the pinwheel gives a 12 1/2" block. I will add a couple borders once this is sewn & it will be done. It's all scraps & stash. BTW, making 1 block gives you two...I love that! The pinwheel is black with chocolate brown dots in a circular shell pattern, hope it shows up.
I love what you did. So let me ask, how did you do the light triangles? I have a mental block this morning (not letting me visualize). I will have to play with that; as if I need anything else to do on this rainy day. I have a million things to do and I am sitting here in my pjs and bathrobe. It is so ugly out even the dane won't go out. She doesn't like to get wet. :roll:
Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 AM

Just looking at your nice layout made me think it would sure do well as an 'I Spy' quilt for the smaller odd colored squares.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 PM

Vickie: That's going to be super! I love the chocolate brown fabric and the change from a plain pinwheel! That's a winner.

Today is day 40!

Keep it up ladies!
:-D
Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I love what you did. So let me ask, how did you do the light triangles? I have a mental block this morning (not letting me visualize). I will have to play with that; as if I need anything else to do on this rainy day. I have a million things to do and I am sitting here in my pjs and bathrobe. It is so ugly out even the dane won't go out. She doesn't like to get wet. :roll:
I'm going to try to attach the actual pattern for the block, there a a ton of ways to put it together. The pattern is called Magic Triangle. It's really easy, just pay special attention that you cut it EXACTLY the way it shows. Ask me how I know........ :lol:

This block actually makes 2, fast & fun!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173079[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-173073.pdf (959.9 KB, 156 views)
Old 03-21-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
Just looking at your nice layout made me think it would sure do well as an 'I Spy' quilt for the smaller odd colored squares.
Didn't think of that, but you're right...
Old 03-22-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I'm going to try to attach the actual pattern for the block, there a a ton of ways to put it together. The pattern is called Magic Triangle. It's really easy, just pay special attention that you cut it EXACTLY the way it shows. Ask me how I know........ :lol:
Oooohhhh! I like that it is easy. I will have to try that. Thanks :!: :lol:
Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the directions, vicky!

Today is day 41!
Not much posting going on. I wonder just how many of the 152 that started will be finished on time?

:-D
Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM

I've got my basic pinwheels all done but I'm doing my quilt differently than what I had originally planned. I'm putting my pinwheels within a square. As soon as I get done with the Star project for the military, I'll get back on my pinwheels. Haven't given up yet.