Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011  NEW >

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 PM

I've been saving up triangles from when I trim the corners of snowball blocks and other HSTs. They are all different sizes and fabrics. I'm going to start with those and then delve into my 5" squares that I cut from extra fabric. It's going to be scrappy! And I'm looking forward to seeing how lots of different sizes go together. I know I can always put a border around smaller ones to bring it to a specific size, but I'm going to try and do without that. I'm going to vary sizes from other materials so that the 5" square HSTs don't overwhelm the quilt. This is going to be FUN!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:00 AM

These are the color i have chosen for the project. I don't think i will have enough of the bird fabric i just have to make the pinwheel square then place them around i also have more of the darker green any suggestion would be very much appreciated :)

I am hoping to do a queen size quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125543[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-125538.jpe  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:46 AM

Your squares look good.Will take a lot of them for Q size, but will be a beautiful quilt.A quilt that size will look good for having diff colors .A diff color draws the eye.Look up scrap quilts in Search at top of page to see colors you like & how they work together.

Originally Posted by capucine
These are the color i have chosen for the project. I don't think i will have enough of the bird fabric i just have to make the pinwheel square then place them around i also have more of the darker green any suggestion would be very much appreciated :)
Old 02-08-2011, 02:51 AM

My squares started with 5" charms.Now to figure a smaller size to fit along side.

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
I've been saving up triangles from when I trim the corners of snowball blocks and other HSTs. They are all different sizes and fabrics. I'm going to start with those and then delve into my 5" squares that I cut from extra fabric. It's going to be scrappy! And I'm looking forward to seeing how lots of different sizes go together. I know I can always put a border around smaller ones to bring it to a specific size, but I'm going to try and do without that. I'm going to vary sizes from other materials so that the 5" square HSTs don't overwhelm the quilt. This is going to be FUN!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 AM

They are 10" square after trimming how many do you think i will need? Thank you for your idea i have other fabric i can corporate with the samples.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 AM

If the squares measure 10 1/2"before sewing together,the chart shows you'll need 111 blocks.If your squares will be 9" before sewing together, you'll need more. I like to make enough blocks to measure by putting a row on the bed from top to bottom, then across.Write it all down.Remember, you lose 1/2" from each block when sewn together.You'll also lose from quilting the quilt.A lot depends on how much drop you want on the sides,if any.

http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...bed_sizes.html

Originally Posted by capucine
They are 10" square after trimming how many do you think i will need? Thank you for your idea i have other fabric i can corporate with the samples.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:05 AM

Did not get out to buy fabric yesterday, had to take care of 10 year old grandson . Am over here again today but SIL will take him to doctor this afternoon. Must get out then, snowstorm coming tomorrow with up to 8,5". Will also go to LQS to pick up fabric for pinwheels. Will be sewing for several days, refuse to drive with snow on roads. Will try to post a picture when I get one done. Am going to try the sew all around and see how that method goes. Otherwise I will use thangles. Have a good sewing day!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ceil
I haven't started mine yet. I'm pretty sure I'll use the sew-around the block method. That seems simplest but I've never made a pinwheel before so maybe I should try both methods and then decide.
That's how I'm doing mine. Seems to work perfect and they go together so quickly.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by granky
What a fun pattern. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 AM

I used the sew around method yest,using 5" charms.Did 24 & have them all cut in 1/4ths with most starched & pressed.They squared up to 5 1/2".Will finish pressing today & sew a few more.It worked good for me.

Originally Posted by grandme26
Did not get out to buy fabric yesterday, had to take care of 10 year old grandson . Am over here again today but SIL will take him to doctor this afternoon. Must get out then, snowstorm coming tomorrow with up to 8,5". Will also go to LQS to pick up fabric for pinwheels. Will be sewing for several days, refuse to drive with snow on roads. Will try to post a picture when I get one done. Am going to try the sew all around and see how that method goes. Otherwise I will use thangles. Have a good sewing day!