Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Storage Boxes for 12 1/2 " squares

Clear block storage

I use these for layer cakes, blocks and bigger "Projects in waiting". Not as sturdy as the Art Bin but they are CLEAR. I bought mine at Joann when I could use a 50% off coupon.
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
    Maybe this is what you want sure is cheaper than the others.http://www.joann.com/12x12-protect-n...ox/xprd881677/

Blog Entries
    I got a few last year at a yard sale. I think she got them at Michael's, not sure, but she's a scrapper and used them for her cards etc.

Of course, there's always the pizza box. Whole lot cheaper, most places give them to you. If you have several pizza joints where you live you can get quite a few by stopping in each place. (I'm cheap)
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

If you know someone who works at a hospital supply area, they have great boxes with attached lids that surgical
    tubing come in. about 3-4" deep. free. cover them in contact paper. label front.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
    I got a few last year at a yard sale. I think she got them at Michael's, not sure, but she's a scrapper and used them for her cards etc.

Of course, there's always the pizza box. Whole lot cheaper, most places give them to you. If you have several pizza joints where you live you can get quite a few by stopping in each place. (I'm cheap)

there are see through pizza boxes out there?? wow i havent ordered take out pizza in a while because the boxes i remember are opaque white thick corrugated cardboard which you cant see through.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Just want to point out that many of the other links were for packs of 6.
    yep the walmart totes do seem a better price deal for the 6 pack. of course if i could see the stuff i have hidden away in large totes now, life would be so much easier. but why would i want to spoil the good thing i have right now rifling through each container to find the fabric i just "know" that i have somewhere, getting tired half way through looking and then giving up my search? at least my way i get to rediscover "new" fabrics each time i look that i cannot remember purchasing.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 03-09-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    there are see through pizza boxes out there?? wow i havent ordered take out pizza in a while because the boxes i remember are opaque white thick corrugated cardboard which you cant see through.
    Sure, see thru would be ideal ... but who cares when the price is right?

Instead of see thru, you can easily label the edge of the box as to what's inside.
    The nice thing is that you can stack them nice and high, and easily read what's in each, then pull out the one you want.

I've covered pizza boxes with contact plastic ... makes it prettier!!! I keep several in different sizes ready and waiting to be used.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    you want the ones from Art bin that are 14" with handles! The cheaper ones at hobby lobby for scrapbooking don't have handles OR secure latches

Blog Entries
    I saw some of the boxes at Dollar General today!! They have never had them before. My thought was "what can I do with these??" A senior moment and I was in a hurry so didn't price them. But I'll go back and look. These were the clear/opaque ones.

I also love the boxes from Joann's. The price has gone up since I first bought them so I'm glad I bought a lot when I did. At last count I had 27 of them and most are full of projects.

Check in the Scrapbooking section of Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or JoAnns. Also, I have found some of the plastic drawers on wheels at WalMart or Big Lots has the right size and you can color sort with those. I bought one with 9 drawers and it works great. Just carry a tape measure with you to make sure the inside measurement is big enough. Most will hold 12" but not 12/5".
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

I get all of my plastic boxes at the Dollar Tree. For 1$.They are shoe boxes and clear.Size 12" long 5 high"

Blog Entries
    pizza boxes???
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Blog Entries
    I use the iris boxes for scrapbooking

Hi, I get new boxes from my local pizza shop. Very nominal fee. Think last one way $0.25. Work great.

If you don't need plastic, try a new pizza box which are sold ipacks of 20 at Gordon Food Services. This would be a place that church food kitchens or caterers shop, bulk food and items.

Blog Entries
    I buy the beautiful decorative boxes at Tuesday Morning store to hold UFO and blocks. I get the ones that are hinged and have a handle. They are so unique and make my sewing room look pretty even when it's a mess in there. I find all sizes there.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Call me cheap, but I haven't found a good reason to spend that kind of money. I'm still using pizza boxes - LOL!
    I'm too blest to be stressed. Amen to that!

I get new pizza boxes for large sizes.
    Vickie 1976
    The Lord blesses the hands that create.

I'll have to check at JoAnn's. The ones I bought there were 12 x 12. I would like to have some that would hold a little larger block.

Blog Entries
    What about asking your local pizza shop if you can buy the largest size pizza box for storage. I believe they usually will give them to you. I've also asked at my local grocery store in the fish dept. if I could have the plastic boxes they ship the fish in. I just run them through the dishwasher and no odor at all and I love how easily they stack.

my quilting group uses pizza boxes....

we use the med, perfect fit.

why don't you use clean pizza boxes. I got mine in pizza hut for 25 cents each. they are new ones.

I've used the ones from Joann's. Blocks that are 12 x 12 or so fit very nicely. There is a handle and 2 snap type closures. My LQS had them, but got them at Joann's. In my area, selling for 19.99. But used coupon for 50% off.
    I like them very much for storing blocks of specific quilts.

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maryb44662 View Post
    I have found that pizza boxes (new) work well for quilt blocks. I purchase them from local pizza place. I also use them for my templates which helps keep them flat. They have the small, med., and large boxes and I am sure cheaper than other plastic boxes and they stack very well on top of my cabinets. Mary
    the pizza boxes from Safeway are great...the pizza is sealed inside plastic so that the box itself, is totally clean.... i have stacks and stacks as I use them for ongoing projects (usually one for finished blocks and one for a stack of cut pcs ready to be sewn together (the best thing about this is when working on a scrap look, i spread out pages from a kid's construction paper pad.... then just 'deal' the different colors onto each page as you decide on which goes with what.... now pick up the pages and stack into a pizza box and each is ready to be sewn as you get to it... all sorted and matched or not-matched acoording to your desire).... but my fave is that when my scraps are less than 1/4 yd, i cut all into 2.5 strips and then sort into the pizza box for that color. I have at least 8 or 10 color-marked boxes. They hold much more than you would think and then when you're in the mood to do some donor blocks or string piecing, just pick the couple of colors you feel like working with and go.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast