Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A plea for smaller pictures (for our Gallery, and in general) >

A plea for smaller pictures (for our Gallery, and in general)

A plea for smaller pictures (for our Gallery, and in general)

Old 09-09-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
I'm going to be a little different here, and say that I LIKE the larger photos. I like it when a smaller one is shown on the board, but I can click it and it gives me one that fills my entire screen, which is about 15" x 18"

I can get the beauty of the piecing with the smaller, but the larger shows the actual quilting pattern stitches, something I want to see
AMEN! I was going to try to say this but you beat me to it! I asked in Help about it and someone said (I can't find it right now) that it has to do with how they're posted, e.g. as an attachment or embedded. I wish everyone would post them so they can be enlarged! I save a LOT of pics and posts and it's so nice to have the larger size when I want to save examples of quilting or details of the quilt. Does anyone here know which way gets the ones that you can click on and enlarge? Thanks so much!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 PM

There is a program on the web to reduce your pictures, and then you can also make them go back to their original size.....see http://www.fookes.com, then you will go down the page a little ways, and locate the FREE thumbnails download, once you are there, right click on the page after you have it on your screen and click on create shortcut, this will put it on your screen monitor, and you can use as you need it.

How to use it, click on the icon for easy thumbnails on your screen monitor, and once it is on your screen locate the pic you are trying to make smaller and click on it then over on the right hand side, click on "make" and it will make that pic into a thumbnail and ready to send off. Your original pic will remain on the page, and the thumbnail will show with the abbreviation "tn" in front of the one you made smaller for posting purposes.

I hope this helps you out - we used this at the University, and it works great and the best information is that it is free!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:04 PM

If any one can't get even these Icons to show up to even post a pic , go to your Settings at the top of your page here on the board and click that then look on your left hand side and find General Settings click that then scroll way down until you see the Misalliance Setting and click on the very first one there that has the
numbers WYSIWYG and then go all the way down and click finished and then you should have all these icons from then on.
Hope this helps some of you.

Last edited by Pickles; 09-09-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I can't even find the size allowed to be posted in the many rules in Pictures. i've forgotten. i know it's not huge though.
It seems like I remember that 800 pixels on one side is the biggest that will upload.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
AMEN! I was going to try to say this but you beat me to it! I asked in Help about it and someone said (I can't find it right now) that it has to do with how they're posted, e.g. as an attachment or embedded. I wish everyone would post them so they can be enlarged! I save a LOT of pics and posts and it's so nice to have the larger size when I want to save examples of quilting or details of the quilt. Does anyone here know which way gets the ones that you can click on and enlarge? Thanks so much!
I also like large pictures. If I want to see the quilt at all, I want to see it as big as the screen, preferably... Just my personal opinion---but I love big pictures!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
It's mostly plain laziness not to resize pictures. All you have to do is read instructions and with youtube you can see it done on just about every picture editing program there is. It is too simple to learn to do. Picasa is free and will do everything you need to a pic. Resize, edit, save in any format, upload to a free online storage, copy, crop, straighten, enhance, face recognition. It's an amazing program. Most don't know all you have to do is right click on an image/pic and select copy image. Then just right click and paste in the post. No need to upload.

My DD passed on many homes to buy because of no internet or cable access. New homes in new housing areas are not in internet coverage areas and the contractors are scratching their heads now that the younger couples won't buy in an area of no internet service. I can imagine how frustrating it is to not be able to get fast affordable unlimited internet coverage like most areas.
Are any of you SEEING what I'm reading????? Talk about the QUILT police, but with PICTURES!!!!!! NOT EVERYONE is as handy with a computer (or sewing machine), yet you have called them LAZY!!!!!! TALK ABOUT RUDE!!!!! I've walked out on quilting groups that have PICKED apart quilters for NOT quilting the way it should be. When something is not dune the way you like it, you have OPTIONS!!!!! I have seen pictures that are too SMALL (and been unable to make them bigger so I could see them), yet all I did was get out my mag page (for viewing). I have seen pictures posted on the side (so I have tipped my head). I understand that life (and a computer or quilting), can be a hard. But quilters all quilt at different levels, computer users all computer a different levels. If you have a problem with some ones post, YOU can PM them. None of use get a thrill out of dealing with the "QUILT POLICE", but now we have found ourselves with a new arm of the LAW - "PICTURE POLICE". Some of the things that have been said on this sub. are just HURTFUL!!! and MEAN!!!! I thought this was a NICE group. Snooks
Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 AM

I am a "Show Me" type so it would really be helpful if you would post a "large photo" and a "small photo". Also, sometimes I come across a photo that is almost as small as the avatars which are worthless to me. I like being able to see a quilt in detail.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 AM

I'm sorry, but I don't even know what to do with the icons after I would get them. For someone who isn't familiar with these things, it can be quite intimidating, and I worked with Main frame computers for years. However, they are quite different from desktops or laptops and each program is different so what would apply to one won't work with another. I don't think it is laziness for the most part, but a lack of knowledge and intimidation that prevents most pictures from being resized., My two cents worth for the day.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 AM

That looks good to me. You can see the quilting which I always like. New to this board, haven't tried posting a pic yet. I have great service and could probably open everything I wanted, but this size is smaller than some people are suggesting.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 AM

I email my pictures to myself and automatically get a prompt asking me if I want to resize them. When I get them in my email I right click them and save them to my computer before I upload them to a web site. This may be an easy method for some of you, especially if you don't have easy to figure out photo editing software.

I usually choose medium size but there is an option for small or even thumbnai.