Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Encourage Each Other >

Please Encourage Each Other

Please Encourage Each Other

Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sneed
Not a nice person to openly criticize another's efforts. Everyone's tastes are different.
I quite agree

:-(
Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 PM

so sad.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 AM

As my granddaughter would say; "How Rude"... I belong to two quilting clubs and no matter what I show, and mind you my stuff is not always that great, everyone is always so kind and claps... Wonderful people in both clubs.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:10 AM

Can someone please tell me what the remark about nurses really means. I have never heard that before and just don't understand it at all. Nurses are wonderful people and do so much to help us when we need it and to look after us the way they do.
Please tell me. I didn't think I was so slow but I really don't know what the remarks mean.

Thank you in anticipation. lol Gleniveve
Old 07-31-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gleniveve
Can someone please tell me what the remark about nurses really means. I have never heard that before and just don't understand it at all. Nurses are wonderful people and do so much to help us when we need it and to look after us the way they do.
Please tell me. I didn't think I was so slow but I really don't know what the remarks mean.

Thank you in anticipation. lol Gleniveve
I am not a nurse, but did a quick online search...now I have a clue to what it means too.

Why Nurses Eat Their Young…
A look at nurse-to-nurse hostility and why it occurs.

A Q&A with Kathleen Bartholomew, RN, MN, author of "Ending Nurse-to-Nurse Hostility: Why Nurses Eat Their Young and Each Other"

A man walked past a few kids with a bucket of sea crabs. One of the crabs was crawling to the top of the bucket, so the man told the boys to get a lid. “Mister, you don’t know anything about crabs,” the boys said. “As soon as that crab gets to the top, the others will pull him right back down. Never fails.”

The expression “nurses eat their young” comes from this story, and it isn’t all that far from the truth. It might sound like your unit—where you feel constantly pulled down by your peers’ cutting remarks, backstabbing, and eyebrow-raising. Kathleen Bartholomew, RN, MN, author of Ending Nurse-to-Nurse Hostility: Why Nurses Eat Their Young and Each Other, speaks on why nurses can’t seem to help each other rise to the top.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:32 AM

Thank you bluejeanqueen. I sort of know what you mean but I am still not sure exactly. Do you mean they try to put each other down or do the ones in charge have favourites. I must be having a bad day. I have never come across this or even heard of it before. Does this happen in Australia? Not sure who I am today -- Dumb or Dumber. I thought that most people who worked together got along well together. Thanks for trying to explain it to me. Gleniveve
Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 AM

Oh, that is just so unnecessary. If you haven't anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
That person should be reprimanded and not allowed to help at these functions
Agreed. Anyone ignorant enough to humiliate a fellow quilter should be "ousted" from any opportunmity to hurt anyone else. I think I would have to bring up at the next guild meeting just prior to show & tell that they are there to encourage & inspire - not humiliate.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 AM

So childish. Someone should tell that person to apologize.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Originally Posted by Coloradoquilter
I was at a guild meeting and saw someone's show and tell put down. It came after lots of "WOW" quilts and a person helping made a hurtful comment. ouch....
How was their show and tell put down? I'm wondering if your mistaking an honest critique for a put down. You can't grow if you can't accept critiques.
You know, some people may not want or need critiques. This thread had me thinking. There are so many aspects to quilting - the art of putting colors and shapes together pleasingly, the sewing, sandwiching and quilting and there's the technical parts of all of it. I know a couple of quilters who are basically artists first, but like putting quilts together. They may not care that their piecing is a little 'wonky' or full. I think they like the overall finished project. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that some like the art and not the technical so much, some focus on the technical(and may not be very 'artistic') while the people that can put all aspects together well are our prize winning quilters.
The quilts that aren't 'perfect' have just as much of the quilter in them as the prize winning ones. IMHO.