Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Encourage Each Other >

Please Encourage Each Other

Please Encourage Each Other

Old 07-31-2011, 11:29 AM

So sad this has happened. I hope the rest chimed in with something positive. It just doesn't pay to be so negative.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:36 PM

how nasty.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Quite often some people feel that anyone's but their own work is inferior and that they know it all, it really is sad, the friend of the quilter who was shot down because of her quilt needs to approach the guild president and explain what happened to the friend and suggest that she speaks to the entire guild about hat she should manners and that she should let them understand why she is talking about something that is so obvious to all of us
Old 07-31-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by selm
Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Originally Posted by Coloradoquilter
I was at a guild meeting and saw someone's show and tell put down. It came after lots of "WOW" quilts and a person helping made a hurtful comment. ouch....
How was their show and tell put down? I'm wondering if your mistaking an honest critique for a put down. You can't grow if you can't accept critiques.
You know, some people may not want or need critiques. This thread had me thinking. There are so many aspects to quilting - the art of putting colors and shapes together pleasingly, the sewing, sandwiching and quilting and there's the technical parts of all of it. I know a couple of quilters who are basically artists first, but like putting quilts together. They may not care that their piecing is a little 'wonky' or full. I think they like the overall finished project. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that some like the art and not the technical so much, some focus on the technical(and may not be very 'artistic') while the people that can put all aspects together well are our prize winning quilters.
The quilts that aren't 'perfect' have just as much of the quilter in them as the prize winning ones. IMHO.
I think if someone asks for an honest critque they should take it in the spirit it is given. If they are just showing something they've done find something to praise about it.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

so sorry that happen that was not right we all start as a beginer this boARD IS WONDERFUL FOR ALL THE NICE THINGS THAT ARE SAID
Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 PM

The 'put downer' may have been having a bad day or was trying to be funny or just didn't think. She may regret her remarks now.
Perhaps someone with a bit of tact and authority could quietly discuss the incident and suggest the importance of making positive remarks.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Suz

Obviously, never heard of "play nice".
Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 PM

Said owner of criticized quilt, should be invited to join us. Sounds like she would be a good fit, and we will not criticize anyone. And we ride 'fast horses'.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Isn't it wonderful to be a member of this board "guild" where we don't really have issues like this. :-)

We can each remember, "It's not what you say, but what the hearer perceives you've said, that matters."

Jan in VA
The one thing that I have appreciated is that NO ONE I have interacted with has been negative, nor demeaning, and this means the world.....I get plenty of that during the day at my school.....
so please know I appreciate all of you!!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 AM

cowgirlquilter, ditto on that on this side!