Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Encourage Each Other >

Please Encourage Each Other

Please Encourage Each Other

Old 07-29-2011, 03:32 PM

I hope someone told that person that she was out of line. No one can just cut out fabric and throw it at the machine and create an instant quilt (including her!!). Grrrrrrr.... :hunf:
Old 07-29-2011, 04:42 PM

I hope someone said something to the woman who thinks she is the quilt police. That is just nasty. I can never understand why people feel the need to hurt someone's feelings.
Sue
Old 07-29-2011, 04:48 PM

This is one reason I don't join a guild. Hopefully someone will have a talk with person that was so rude.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

Tell her to post here and we'll ooooh and aaaah.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:55 PM

I know that some of my quilts do not fit the taste of many of my fellow guild members. Some of theirs don't suit my taste. I still always, always, always try to find something positive to say about the quilts. It may be the quilting design, the unique color combo, or the way they matched their points. I find that if I look for something good, I like the quilt even if I would never make one like it. We should all do that. Support is why we are in a guild in the first place!
Old 07-30-2011, 02:47 AM

I wouldn't give that person (or their comment) another thought. Don't let ONE bad comment ruin your project or discourage you from quilting. People like that are jealous of your accomplishments and are very insecure about themselves. That's why I will never enter a quilt in a contest or show. They are looking for "bad" things and I don't really care. If I like my quilts I don't care what anyone else thinks of them.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
In nursing, there is an old thought that "nurses eat there young". That has never been the case in quilting. She was soooo wrong to do this!!!
I agree. The nursing profession is way down for more reasons, but one is the fact that "nurses do eat their young".
While that may not be the case in Quilting, Isn't that where the "Quilt Police" come into view.
She was awful to do this.
Evidently, at my quilt group while teaching a class on hand quilting to the group, my friend had a lady stand up and say "No this is how you do it", and took the sewing right out of her hands! These people are out there in about every group, every walk of life.
so sad :(
Old 07-30-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Coloradoquilter
I was at a guild meeting and saw someone's show and tell put down. It came after lots of "WOW" quilts and a person helping made a hurtful comment. ouch....
PEOPLE THIS DAY IN TIME HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THEM SELVES LET ALONE SOME ONE ELSE.THAT IS A SHAME I ALWAYS TRY AND LIFT SOMEONE UP AND INSTEAD OF PUTTING THEM DOWN,BUT I GUESS WE ARE NOT ALIKE.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:17 AM

I very nearly gave up quilting because of a strict and rather nasty police type tutor at my first quilting class. Fortunately I found Kate Woods forum, before it went off line, and the members there were just so helpful and generous that I am now a quilt addict and try to impart my knowledge, in a fun way to anyone who wants to join in my free Patchwork class, the rewards I get is way above monetary values.

Is it possible to take this person on one side and ask her not to be critical?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:26 AM

That is so sad, especially if that was a fairly new person to quilting. Unkind remarks could actually cause her to stop quilting or never show anything again. I hope someone took her aside and reassured her. Her feelings should be the most important thing, the other lady was rude and shows she has no caring for others.