Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Encourage Each Other >

Please Encourage Each Other

Please Encourage Each Other

Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dingle
This is one reason people don't like to show what they have made. Even if it is a simple block pattern. I'm still learning and tend to stay away from things I'm not comfortable with. We need a guild where only newbies are allowed and have a good time learning from each other. :thumbup:
Actually, a good diverse group of varied skill levels is necessary for a good guild. Experienced quilters are beneficial to newer quilters, while fresh ideas are sometimes brought in by newer quilters. To bad this quilter was let down by a fellow guild member!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:48 AM

Shame, Shame!!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:57 AM

We had a quilter in our club that always showed beautiful quilts and was very vocal about other quilts during 'Show & Tell" Well "Bingo" we found out that the beautiful quilts she had been showing were really done by her daughter!!! I haven't seen her at our meetings since.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:59 AM

I belong to a guild. I love taking my stuff there, everyone is so supportive and positive. People will help you with a technique, show you how to do something, help you find a tut online to help. The culture that is promoted there is on of being caring - we range in age from early twenties to late 70s. I would be so upset if that were undermined by someone who was thoughtless with their words.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:13 AM

Honestly, I have not even attempted to join a quilt guild because of putting myself at this kind of risk. :thumbdown:
Old 07-30-2011, 04:15 AM

That is mean. Most people don't think before they speak.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:15 AM

That's awful! Surely there is always something positive one can say about another's work. Sounds like a "quilt snob" talking!!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:32 AM

It is interesting that you brought up this subject. I personally find it very difficult to take criticism that is given the wrong way but I also don't mind and would like constructive criticism. I would like to give some newer quilters hints on how to improve but it is difficult (especially on line) to find a way to positively and nicely offer ways to improve their quilts. It was tips and constructive criticism that really helped me with choosing fabric (my greatest struggle in quilting at the moment). Maybe there can be a discussion at the guild on how to give suggestions on show and tells or state a rule of positive comments only.

In the school setting, we sandwich comments. Positive, constructive criticism, positive. This way, the child sees what they did right and can feel happy about that and also sees what to improve. This is also done at IEP meetings so parents see their child's strengths and weaknesses. Just a thought...
Old 07-30-2011, 04:49 AM

Shame, shame on that person. Thanks for this post. May it remind each of us that there are no quilt police, and that all quilts are beautiful to someone.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 AM

How sad. Seems some people have to put down others, in order to feel good about themselves.