Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: please help before the cussin starts!!!

Yesterday I started quilting a queen size quilt. Everything went beautifully....no problems at all. BUT today is a different story. All the settings, thread, needle everything the same. Same settings on the machine (Janome ) fmq bobbin case in use.
    The back is all eyelashes. I spent over an hour picking out the bad stitches....arrrggg...
    Okay, I took the bobbin case out to try to adjust the tension. There is a metal screw but there is also a black thing I assume is a screw, to the left of the metal screw. Which should I turn? Has anyone had this experience and if so, how did you resolve it. I am just a breath away from a string of four letter words!!!

Ditter

Do you have a picture of the bobbin case, mine has little screws which you turn to loosen or tighten. (lefty loosy, rightie tightie this method also works when working on trucks..lol)

Don't really know what to tell you because I have had that same thing happen to me before too. Try & change the needle & see if that helps & rethread the machine. There are gremlins among us!

I would not adjust the bobbin tension. Adjust the top tension, instead.

If you have eyelashes on the back of your quilt, it would be the top tension you should adjust.

Sheila

Hi, You can use the black screw to adjust tension if adjusting at the top doesn't work.

I never mess with my bobbin tension and only change the top tension.

Did you lower your darning foot - I have forgotten to do that and I get a bird's nest on the back of the quilt because there is no tension.

I have never adjusted the bobbin tension, I always adjust tension from the top. Possibly check the bobbin area for a hidden piece of lint.

I agree - it is the top tension that is your problem. I too have gremlins that play with my machine when I'm not watching. Sometimes the only thing that works is to start over and re-thread the machine.

Thanks to all of you. I called the qs where I bought the machine. She told me to rethread the machine. I swear I had done that at least twice, but I did it again. Now everything is working fine again.....GREMLINS at work!!! :hunf:

Ditter

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    Thanks to all of you. I called the qs where I bought the machine. She told me to rethread the machine. I swear I had done that at least twice, but I did it again. Now everything is working fine again.....GREMLINS at work!!! :hunf:

Ditter
    Yep, those Gremlins seem pretty intent on getting the most bang for their work....they mess up your project, steal your time, make you crazy, and then when you seek out help...they disappear like they've never been there at all.... hope they're not on their way back to my house! LOL

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    I have those gremlins too...only they like to eat the bobbin thread so it runs out without warning. I can hear them laughing when I have sewn an entire seam, only to discover the bobbin ran out after the first three inches...nasty-goblinses...

Blog Entries

Ditter
    Yes.....I have had those very same Gremlins sneak into my quilting room. They certainly can wreak havoc on stuff, even things that you SWEAR no one has touched!! Sometimes just rethreading is all it needs.....inconceivable!!! (ala Princess Bride!!!)

Everyone get the curse of the gremlins, soon or later. Good luck finishing your quilt.

Blog Entries

Ditter
    That's what I was going to say. It's the simplest thing, but one of the easiest to overlook. So glad you are back on track now!

Problem solved so now when in doubt rethread or new needle or both.

Sorry it's giving you fits. Like the others I agree that it is your upper tension. Often times, rethreading the machine will take care of the problem. Sometimes the upper thread pops out of the uptake hook which will cause some major nesting on the back of your piece. Rethreading will correct this.

Junior Member Miss Purple Shoes's Avatar
    I have those gremlins too! Now I don't even start to sew on a Wednesday!! yes it is true! My machine goes on strike on a Wednesday - works fine on Tuesday and Thursday but everything seems to go wrong on a Wednesday!

Yes! I HAVE had that happen. What I do is change the needle, look under the bobbin case for fuzzies, put in a new bobbin, rethread the machine, change needle, shut off the machine and either eat something or go to bed. When I come back to it, it is all fixed!

Glad the problem is corrected. I predict no more grimlins.

Glad it is sorted....those gremlins are a real pest!

The FIRST thing I would do is be absolutely POSITIVE that I had put the foot down!
    The NEXT thing I would check is: Did I get the bobbin thread completely into its little holder and threaded through the side?
    (Just two mistakes I try to never make again )
    *** Tooo late!

I wouldn't touch that bobbin adjustment if your machine has been sewing ok prior to this problem. I would clean the machine, put in a new needle, a new bobbin, re-thread, cross my fingers and try again. If that failed I would walk away from the machine and try everything again tomorrow. Good luck!!

I heard this the other day and wished I would have had it ten years ago when I started quilting:

Problem on the bottom - solution on the top.
    Problem on the top - solution on the bottom.

HTHs!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast