Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me decide!!! Janome or pfaff >

Please help me decide!!! Janome or pfaff

Please help me decide!!! Janome or pfaff

Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM

I am a big Janome fan - but agree for a 5 year old machine $1100.00 is a lot of money. I bought mine new for $1400.00. It came with the plexiglass extension table and lots of feet. The shop also had a deal for the table at half price, and lessons, etc. So I bought another foot (the SID) and the extra bobbin case for FMQ.

Don't know what the life expectancy is for a Janome. So why are they selling it?

Since the Phaff is only a year old, I question why they are selling it also.

Which ever you decide test drive it before you buy - if they won't let you, you won't want it. That is way too much to need to do repairs or service right out the gate.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 AM

Go for Phaff!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
These prices are too high! I would go to a dealer who might have received some good trade-ins and with whom there will be customer service. You will never get that from Craigs List. I have the Janome and love it. Because of my great experience with the Pfaff7550 I bought the Pfaff quilt expressions 4.0 and have never taken it out of the box because I have read all the negative reviews of it that are all over the internet. That purchase was my most expensive mistake.
How do you know it was an expensive mistake if you never took it out of the box? Ship it to me - I will take it off your hands
Old 12-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Here's my thoughts on your question.
You have boxed yourself into choosing one of two sewing machines, neither of which is a terrific price. I think you need to take a deep breath, step back, and think about this. Warranties on sewing machines do not go to the second owner - unless it is a dealer who offers it. The machine owner may think she can pass this warranty on, but more than likely she can't. You need to do your due diligence and try other machines. I sew on a Juki F-600 and I don't think anything can stand up to it. It is the only machine I've sewed on that does not pound fabric down the hole when starting on the edge of fabric. It has the strongest motor you will ever sew on besides a commercial machine. And the price is right. I've owned many brands of machines - Kenmore is my only machine I haven't owned. You can get great deals and buys on Ebay, but you need to know your facts. Google and call around and stop and try different machines. You won't believe how different they will feel....
Good luck and have fun
Judi
Old 12-01-2011, 01:17 PM

I agree with seamstome and candace. A new 6600P with all the support, attachments, and warranty would be a much better deal. I wouldn't pay over $800 for the 5 year old one.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Please be careful buying online. You can't test drive. Have you thought of running an ad in the home town paper so you can test drive. There are a lot of sewing machines lying around without stitchers. They sell for as little as $25 on up as high as you want to go. Some people get them as gifts and never take hold. You just never know what is out there just waiting.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
How do you know it was an expensive mistake if you never took it out of the box? Ship it to me - I will take it off your hands
I tried it out in the store knowing that the dealer would not refund my money if I were not happy (long story). I decided that I would put a few more miles on my Janome 6500 before setting up the Pfaff. Then I starting reading all the bad reviews and problems on this board and many others. Unfortunately mine was made in China and was one of the first off the assembly line so I knew I had a problem on my hands. Major heart prioblems arose and it was just easier to not set myself up for any aggravation from this machine. I'm afraid I'm just taking the path of least resistance as long as the Janome still works. Maybe getting it out of the box should be my new year's resolution.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Default Janome vs Pfaff

I have the Janome 6600 and I would get that. Does it come with the table? If not, the person who is selling it is asking too much; after all it is a used machine. I must add though, this particular model is Janome's work horse. Do some dealing with the seller.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 PM

I recently had to replace my machine. A new Janome 6600 locally was $1399' I didn't get it as it was not an open arm Pfaff has a very good name and it is 4 years newer than the Janome.. See if your local dealers have floor samples they are selling, another good place to find good products for a bit less.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:24 PM

I researched both the Janome and Pfaff last year and would have Loved the Pfaff 4.0...but for the price =(. So I went with a mid range Janome and am exceptionally pleased with it's performance.