Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help! Searching for a Log cabin block >

Please help! Searching for a Log cabin block

Please help! Searching for a Log cabin block

Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 AM
MTS
Banned

Both Dunster and I use EQ.

I'm going to say there is generally a little learning curve - based on the user's experience with graphic design software, or computers in general - but EQ has EXCELLENT videos and follow-along step-by-step written instructions (both online and in their books) to help you along.

I was at Houston last week, and everytime I wanted to rest my feet I plopped down in chair at the demo space in the EQ booth.
I didn't have any particular questions, but just listened along as others asked theirs.

Some were very basic, but sometimes when answering those, the EQ person would throw in a little tidbit about a feature or function that I didn't know about.
Or, that I had become so comfortable with in prior versions, I hadn't bother to seek out if had changed or improved.

It was great fun, and very informative.

But the basic block drawing and quilt layout - you should be up and running in no time at all.

I use it for all aspects of quiltmaking - check color/fabric combos and sizes and layouts and measurements, etc.
Design blocks, print templates and foundations. Estimate yardage requirements.

EQ has very lively forum on its site, and I think there is one on this board as well.

The sale price, when available, is around $140.

I think it's worth every penny.

There is an EQ lite, Design Wizard, with very basic features, for around $30.

Sometimes there are earlier versions of EQ available (the current, released last year, is EQ7).
Stay away from EQ6 - installation issues.
If you find a cheap enough version of EQ5, for under $50, you could go that route to get a sense.
You won't be able to get an upgrade if you wanted to go to EQ7 (you'd need to buy the regular version), but if you didn't want to upgrade, you saved yourself some moola.

I can't make that decision for you, but I'd suggest putting it on your list.

All I can say is I love it.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM
MTS
Banned

Both Dunster and I use EQ.

I'm going to say there is generally a little learning curve - based on the user's experience with graphic design software, or computers in general - but EQ has EXCELLENT videos and follow-along step-by-step written instructions (both online and in their books) to help you along.

I was at Houston last week, and everytime I wanted to rest my feet I plopped down in chair at the demo space in the EQ booth.
I didn't have any particular questions, but just listened along as others asked theirs.

Some were very basic, but sometimes when answering those, the EQ person would throw in a little tidbit about a feature or function that I didn't know about.
Or, that I had become so comfortable with in prior versions, I hadn't bother to seek out if had changed or improved.

It was great fun, and very informative.

But the basic block drawing and quilt layout - you should be up and running in no time at all.

I use it for all aspects of quiltmaking - check color/fabric combos and sizes and layouts and measurements, etc.
Design and print blocks, print templates and foundations (or use the ones included in the large library).
Estimate yardage requirements.

There's a ton I DON'T use that others use all the time.
It's really a very robust software package.

EQ has very lively forum on its site, and I think there is one on this board as well.

The sale price, when available, is around $140. Regular retail is $190

eta: Like right now http://quiltinaday.com/shoponline/gifts_display.asp?i=28132 free shipping with $150 purchase.

I think it's worth every penny.

There is an EQ lite, Design Wizard, with very basic features, for around $30.

Sometimes there are earlier versions of EQ available (the current, released last year, is EQ7).
Stay away from EQ6 - installation issues.
If you find a cheap enough version of EQ5, for under $50, you could go that route to get a sense.
You won't be able to get an upgrade if you wanted to go to EQ7 (you'd need to buy the regular version), but if you didn't want to upgrade, you saved yourself some moola.

I can't make that decision for you, but I'd suggest putting it on your list.

All I can say is I love it.

Last edited by MTS; 11-07-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 PM

MTS - thank you for all the info. and your time in replying. I'm so glad I found this forum - all you experienced quilters are so helpful and don't seem to mind sharing your knowledge. This sounds wonderful and I will definitely look at the info. on it - hopefully I'll THINK I can manage the learning curve. I can't wait to see my hubby's face when I tell him that "MTS" and "dunster" (I assume) recommend it. He'll be soooo happy I actually want something that he'll want to go right out and buy it for me (I'm thinking Christmas gift).
Old 11-07-2012, 01:58 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by dart1 View Post
He'll be soooo happy I actually want something that he'll want to go right out and buy it for me (I'm thinking Christmas gift).
While I'm pretty sure that sale will be back before the holidays, there is no guarantee it.
They're not allowed to advertised the sale price, so it's just luck to find it active now.
You might want to let him know about the sale (and some other item so you get the free shipping), and he can hold it for you until the holiday.

Oh, and if you're on a Mac, you'd need Parallels (or equivalent) and Windows to make it work.
They're a small company and decided they just don't have/want to devote the resources for making a Mac version.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM

I just LOVE how the folks on here are so willing and ready to help others. You are all just super!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 PM

Again!...thank you, everyone, for all your generosity!!! Here is what I came up with so far:-)
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

For those that still use graph paper, this is drawn on a 9x9 grid.

Start with a 3x3 square in the center and build out.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ariane911 View Post
Again!...thank you, everyone, for all your generosity!!! Here is what I came up with so far:-)

Gonna be beautiful! Thanks for the pics.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 AM

I love the block an am in awe at mts and dunster's abilities with EQ. I'm still fumbling my way through the software.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 AM

dunster: which sashing is done the wrong way?