Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Please i need some help

Blog Entries
    Can someone help me or explain to me how do i make a blanket the one you tie together at the ends they are made of soft fleece.Thanks in advance for any help you canoffer :)

Good Morning....
    I've made several of these....they are quite easy to make actually...
    I lay my 2 pieces of fleece today - the top and the back...usually I do a print with a coordinating solid.
    Icut of the selvedges and straighten up the top and bottoms cut edges..

Once that is done, I measure in with my measureing tape or ruler 3"....and at the 3" mark I put a pin - and I do that around all 4 sides...

For the corners, where the corner pins meet, you need to cut out the corner..I hope that that makes sense...if you pin all the way to the edges - there'll be a blank corner area - you need to cut this out......

Then with my scissors I cut all around - cutting to the pins - every 1/4" or so....making the fringes....

Once I've cut all around, I then start double knotting the fringes - the print with the solid - be careful not to miss any - as you knot each little section you can take the pins out.......and that's it - I don't do any sewing, etc. - have done several - they they are so forgiving - everyone is great.....a lot of fun - I've done the small baby ones - as well as adult size in which I use 2 yard of each fleece....

Have fun..

I hope that this makes sense..

Cheers,

Bill

Here's a link to a tutorial for these blankets....perhaps this will help also - there are some pictures...

http://collectibles.about.com/od/val...leecethrow.htm

Banned
    thanks for the link lock. it really looks easy to do.

I prefer this type of knot, but there are lots of options.

http://www.craftelf.com/Craft_elf_ge...ce_blanket.htm

Blog Entries
    Awesome sites, thanks :D :D :D

I keep thinking that I should whip up a couple of these, just never got around to it yet, famous last words

Blog Entries
    Are you not tempted to quilt or tie just a bit, so that the two layers don't keep separating?

Hi there...
    I've never had a problem with just doing the knots..never quilted or tied and never had a problem with the layers separating - I think it may be something about the fleece on fleece that keeps them kind of together...
    They do make up really well and are a lot of fun to do.
    I done a lot of these..even though I've done a lot of the larger ones the more recent ones I've done are about 36" square for babies.....they make great baby gifts....

Blog Entries
    Locked,i want to thank you for the info.it;is raelly helpful i plan on doing some of these for Baby Shower gifts again ,ThankYou

I made my son one of these for Christmas, he wouldn't really appreciate a quilt and it was OSU fabric kit which I couldn't have found in cotton anyway. I went to You Tube and did a search and found several sites. I had done one for the My Very Own Blanket program using the square knots, but for my son I held both pieces of fringe together and used an overhand knot, I liked it better and it lies flatter than the square knot.

Go to Joann's website, they have a free project section. There's a photo and instructions to make this project.

pal
    I've made a few using only one blanket layer rather than two together,
    so that they are not so heavy or too warm. And you can use a long strip of masking tape instead of pins, and just cut up to the masking tape. Then just make a knot using the one fringe. Make a knot around a
    crochet hook and push it up to the tape. When all of the knots are tied
    pull off the tape and you're done.

Blog Entries
    Thank you quilters, for the links
    to make this fleece quilt!! I always
    love to get more information!!
    :D :D :D :D

More projects I have yet to do. I've got fleece for four more blankets that I've had for over a year and a half that I need to just buckle down and do. Sad for me I keep putting it off and they don't take long to do.

I made my grands fleece blankets when they went to Alaska. You will dull your rotary cutter or scissors making them, but they are so very warm. I used a fleece side and a flannel side, then just stitched around the two and it worked wonderfully. The grands are still using them and love them.

Hugs,
    Sharon

There is also a ruler similar to the Shape Cut that you can buy in order to rotary cut the fringe. The one I have is only about 6" wide, but this is very similar http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd54323

You put the line for the length of the fringe on the edge of the fleece. Since I was having problems with carpal tunnel syndrome when I first started making these blankets, it really saved my hand to rotary cut instead of using the scissors.

Also, I usually put the fleece right sides together (yes, Virginia, there is a right side to fleece -- pull it, and the side that it curves into is the wrong side) and stitch up the sides. Then I fringe the top and bottom edges.

I hope this makes sense.

When I made this type of blanket, i about killed my hand with all the cutting. So the next time that i had a joann's coupon, i bought the fiskars spring handled scissors. It makes a world of difference on your hands. They dont get so tired and cramped. Now i have electric scissors that my DH got me for Christmas--i bet those would just zoom through.

This sounds like fun. Will have to try it.

It's really easy, just cut 2 pieces of fleece the size you want, plus about 12 extra inches, and place the 2 pieces together. The just make 6 inch cuts about every 1 to 1 1/2 inches and tie the matching strips in square knots. That's all there is too it

Exactly!

If you haven't made it yet, tie every other knot and then turn it over and tie the back sides. This makes it a reversable quilt with the knots shared on both sides.

I just place a piece of blue painter's tape on the cut to line, and use my rotory cutter. It works great and no tired hands.