Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pledge to be Positive >

Pledge to be Positive

Pledge to be Positive

Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 AM

Penny, of course letting your community know about your health struggles is not 'venting.' It allows us all to pray for you!

I LOVE to vent, but I try never to press 'send' afterwards!

I think that part of the problem with venting on a public forum is that a posting doesn't convey the tone of a person's message. Someone might intend to be slightly snarky or sarcastic, but it comes across to another person as terribly negative. I have learned this the hard way, through being misconstrued and attacked for something I didn't mean to convey. Now I always try to 'stick with the facts, ma'am!'

Thanks for the reminder about staying positive, always the best place to be, especially in 'public'!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I appreciate the commitment to being positive. And, will strive for that as well. However, one of the things that I appreciate about this site is that through "venting" I have learned a lot about things to pay attention to when buying fabrics, etc. Watching how store employees cut, using products like Retayne, etc. So, please don't stop venting...let's just keep it constructive. Thank you all for all you teach me - venting or not.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Bev

[quote/] I think that part of the problem with venting on a public forum is that a posting doesn't convey the tone of a person's message. Someone might intend to be slightly snarky or sarcastic, but it comes across to another person as terribly negative. I have learned this the hard way, through being misconstrued and attacked for something I didn't mean to convey. Now I always try to 'stick with the facts, ma'am!' [quote/]

I sure do agree with this statement. Happens to me sometimes too. I grew up in a family that enjoys sarcasm, and wry humor. But it doesn't come across well in email messages.

8-)
Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM

I pledge to be more positive in all my statements and interactions with members of this board. I try hard not to come across negative, but sometimes I just cannot restrain my natural tendency to point out stuff.....sorry!!! I enjoy sarcasm and dry humor...I will try to refrain from using it here. On the other hand, everyone needs to try not to be too thin skinned and/or taking ourselves too seriously. Life is short...so be happy! Be a duck....let it roll off your back!! :-)

I like you all a lot, and would never intentionally hurt anyone's feelings. That is not, nor has it ever been, my way or my heart. I have too much to be grateful for from my Lord & creator, and I am too blessed to be stressed!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM

I work in a doctors office and the folks I work with have the most negative attitudes. No matter how slow it is they will complain, when someone says to me, Gee you must be busy, I usually reply with, No, but there is an obligation to complain.
I find it really hard because I really try to put on a happy face for these folks, for some of them I may be the only person who takes the time to talk to them, they are sick, many are lonely and I really think that our office should be a sort of haven for them where they can share their worries.
When people thank me for being nice I just tell them that it is just how I am, and that I hope that when I call my doctors office there will be someone like me at the other end.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:54 PM

I've had some very hard lessons about being negative in my life, and I have often created a negative message and then backspaced over it. Life's too short.

I also have become more selective about which threads I stop and read, everyone here has so much to offer that I'd forget to actually go into my work room if I wasn't being as attentive to my time. Notice this response is a week from the original - I'm trying to limit myself to one day for getting caught up each week.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:25 PM

Amen...you said it in a nutshell!!!! Sometimes you can be typing like you are having a conversation and all of a sudden someone gets offended by the way you said something, or reads more into it than was meant. My philosophy is 'Keep mouth shut, Keep job long time"!!! LOL.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by trisha
Amen...you said it in a nutshell!!!! Sometimes you can be typing like you are having a conversation and all of a sudden someone gets offended by the way you said something, or reads more into it than was meant. My philosophy is 'Keep mouth shut, Keep job long time"!!! LOL.
My DH always says "never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut!"

:lol:
Old 09-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Yep!!! Got that right.!!! LOL
Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

The stroke was a mini stroke, thank the good lord. my right side is still numb, but I got the sewing machine needle threaded, it took a little time as I am right handed, but by gosh I got it done. when I get tiered it shows more, like trying to say the right word, or finger placement on the key board, or like the other day a kind member sent me a gift card for batting which I am in desprate need of, I went to Joann,s and got some batting and 1yrd of pretty fabric for flower centers, and by the time I got home, I could not get up the step to get in the door, my arm is all brused up from trying. my son happened home about 10 minutes latter and helped me in the house. I am human and I do get frustrated. I am 47 yrs old, and I have pain every minute of everyday, and with everything else I want to ask why me, I know the lord has his reasons, I loved my job, I loved to help people, I was independent, and now I am a shell of a person. and at times I want to say no more, but all of you are just wonderful, and you make me fell human, and you make me feel like you really care, this board and all of you, help me get through really rough times. I just asked for help with batting and a few have already sent me some. and when I get fabric or books or thread.ect... It makes me cry, because I would not be able to do it without all you. God bless. Penny