Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polyester batting >

Polyester batting

Polyester batting

Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 PM

I use Quilters Dream Blend 70/30 for my quilts. Their label says it is especially made for machine quilting (of course they could be saying that just to sell the product). I've used in in many quilts and it holds up beautifully in the wash.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

The biggest difference between polyester batting and cotton batting is --- cotton shrinks Polyester doesn't. Another reason I only use polyester batting.

I never iron my quilts after I sandwich them. I wouldn't know if the polyester melts or not.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
The biggest difference between polyester batting and cotton batting is --- cotton shrinks Polyester doesn't. Another reason I only use polyester batting.

I never iron my quilts after I sandwich them. I wouldn't know if the polyester melts or not.
Yes, polyester melts. These are pictures from a cotton fabric quilt with poly batting. It was on a bed on top of an electric blanket that was turned on. A 3 year old was sitting on the quilt playing, the pressure from his body on the quilt and electric blanket was enough for the quilt to catch on fire and the poly batting melt. My guild is trying to salvage the quilt. Only the quilt, electric blanket and bed were hurt, not the little boy.

Melted poly batting, burned cotton, front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]73147[/ATTACH]

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]73148[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-73142.jpe   attachment-73143.jpe  
Old 07-21-2010, 11:00 PM

I love the wool batting from Hancocks of Paducah. It's so soft and cuddly. Makes a great quilt.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 PM

I'm kind of late to the party, but I was looking for any help with the weight of the poly batting I can buy. I can get it in 80 gram up to 200 gram weight. I was wondering what the typical weight would be for machine quilting. Does anyone know?

Those of you who buy it in 30 meter rolls or something like that...do you have just one choice to buy? How did you decide which loft to buy?

As to being a fire hazard due to melting on a child. I'm maybe a bit cynical, but if the polyester is between two layers of fabric, wouldn't the child already be in a "heap of hurt" if the fabric is so hot that the inside melts? Seems like it is "too hot" already.

It doesn't burn, but just melts, so that seems like a plus. As a fire hazard, cotton definitely would burn more easily. Don't they make pjs often out of some sort of poly fabric that isn't flammable? I thought that non flammability was actually a plus.