Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Portable bobbin winders - yea or ney? >

Portable bobbin winders - yea or ney?

Portable bobbin winders - yea or ney?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:22 AM
cjc

I have a Brother machine and it works great with the bobbins wound on the Sidewinder. I love mine!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 AM

I love mine. It works for both my Singer and Brother machine. I can wind all my bobbins in the evening to get them ready for quilting the next day without having to take out my machine.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 AM

In talking to a couple of people who do sewing machine repairs they said the bobbin winders on your machines wear out very fast. In using the independent bobbin winders you save the wear and tear on your expensive machines. FYI. :D
Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 AM

That is what I figured too! Especially with my old one, which is a White and my husband bought it for me used for our first anniversary. We will be married 50 years June 2010. Not to be nosey, where in Iowa are you located? Yes, I guess I am nosey. We have relatives in the Amana Colonies. My husband and I were married at the Little Brown Church in the Vale in Nashua, Iowa. I love Iowa.

Have a good day! Edie
Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
Nay, first of all...I can't use for my Viking machine. And, you know, to begin with I thought "what a great idea". Then my practical side got to thinking...why not just wind two or three bobbins to begin with when I am starting my project (or even just when I sit down to sew)? It really is no advantage to have the extra bobbin winder...I still have to remove my fabric in order to remove my plate and insert my bobbin...so, just what is the advantage? Personally, I'd rather save my money and spend it on fabric or something else that I really do need!
I have a Viking machine also and received the bobbin winder as a gift. It's a big nay for me also. I haven't tried to wind bobbins from my grandmas Singer in it yet.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 AM

i have to say i am a yeaaaa i love mine it is ran on battery or electric sometimes when watching tv in the living room i will sit and fill a lot of bobbins! i really think the idea of the pill bottles is great , going to try that one.
thats what i like about this forum so many shared ideas !!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 AM

I just had to have a side winder. I got one for christmas last year. I would much rather use the one on my machine. It is too much trouble to use this little thing. I have to make sure it is threaded corrected as you can not stop once started. I also have to hold it down since it is so light.
In my opinion it is not worth the money. One of those live and learn lessons.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:09 AM

I never made the plunge....for my thinking is to prewind bobbins, but, if you are using a matching color, etc to something....chances are you would have to undo the thread from the machine to wind with!:)Now, I know there are quilters that have drawers and drawers of endless threads to pick from, but, not me:)Espec in different off colors past the basic colors of black, white and off white:)Skeat
Old 09-24-2009, 09:35 AM

I love mine ! I have two. one for home and one when I travel.
I'm a two-fer girl. I usually have two of everything. 1 for home 1for the travel. I teach sewing and I dont like having the lingering thought of did I remember everything.
Thats my story !
T.Farmer
Central TX
Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 AM

I like that pill bottle idea, I think I'll use it. I love my PBW, I got a gift card for Joann's so that is how I got mine. My winder does wind evenly and I can use it for both the Pfaff and the Bernina, so that works out great. Mine is out of the box and in easy reach and I use it, that is what it's there for. So Yes.