Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Portable bobbin winders - yea or ney? >

Portable bobbin winders - yea or ney?

Portable bobbin winders - yea or ney?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:57 PM

I bought one because it was on sale for $11. A good buy, a good saving......and it has sat in its box ever since!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ksea
Nay for me, I just do wind a bunch of them and then store them in this cool thing I bought for $3 at the quilt show, It holds a bunch of bobbins and I have different colored ones for different sized bobbins.
That 'cool thing' you bought for $3 at the quilt show sells for $35 in Australia (maybe they put the decimal point in the wrong place).Consequently, I don't have one.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
Originally Posted by ksea
Nay for me, I just do wind a bunch of them and then store them in this cool thing I bought for $3 at the quilt show, It holds a bunch of bobbins and I have different colored ones for different sized bobbins.
That 'cool thing' you bought for $3 at the quilt show sells for $35 in Australia (maybe they put the decimal point in the wrong place).Consequently, I don't have one.
OMGosh, that is terrible! I love them but couldn't imagine paying $35.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:33 AM

I've been considering buying one of these. The bobbin winders on my machine/s just doesn't seem to get the thread on evenly and 9 times out of 10, I have a problem with the bobbin thread messing up...usually at athe worst possible time! I watch the winding closely to make sure it's going on smoothly but it just doesn't do the job well. Any suggestion for making certain the bobbin winder on the machine is winding correctly?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:22 AM

Hi, my machine has problems winding once in a while too, that is why I was asking about the portable bobbin winder. They are $35 at Micheal's and $25 at Wal Mart in Canada. With a 50% Micheal's coupon the price is not too bad. I have been watching the feedback and thinking I'll stick with my machine for now but I have noticed it depends where the spool is located when I am winding. A cone in a mug needs very constant attention and my hand on the tension button area closest to the bobbin so the thread doesn't jump off. If I use the auxilliary spool holder on top I have the same problem. If I use the thread as it comes through the needle as it says in the book, I also have problems. If I use slow pedal speed I also have problems. (I am using a Husqvarna #1+ that I bought used and reconditioned.) The only good winding is with the spool on the main holder at the rear of the machine then to the bobbin which means re-threading machine and needle every time. I'm now doing multiple bobbins and still watching closely.