Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops? >

Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops?

Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Yes, I have had it happen to me. Years ago we had a family owned fabric store in our town and everytime I went there, my eyes would burn terribly. It also happened to my daughter. It must be the dyes and the sizing that they use in the fabrics. The odd thing is, that fabric store is the only one I had this problem with.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:18 PM

Most fabrics have formaldehide in them. One of my friends was so allergic to this that she had to quit sewing altogether.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:25 PM

I have been told that the reaction some people suffer in quilt shops it the interaction of the fluorescent lights and the formaldehyde used on the fabric during manufacture.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:29 PM

I have that problem myself sometimes but not always. It seems to be ok sometimes when I go and then the next time I have no problems at all and it's the same shop. Either they are spraying something or they get a new batch of fabrics in, is when I have the most problems. Usually I throw all the fabrics in the truck of the car and when I get home they go straight to the washing machine. I only wash them once but I do use 1 cup of vinegar in the water and that seems to do the trick for me. I have had one piece of fabrics that I could not get a smell out of and it wasn't that noticeable until I put it in the dryer. I ended up throwing the fabric out because I would not want someone sleeping with that order. It' smelled like burnt oil or something. Like I said I didn't notice it until after I had dried it.

Another thing you must think about is that most fabric is now made overseas and it is shipped here so anything they spray in the ships to prevent mice and other insects is also possibly in the fabrics since they absorb orders. I know they wrap the fabric but still you never know the conditions in which it was shipped.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM

That is why I always prewash. Who knows what kind of chemicals are used in the manufacturing process??
Old 10-10-2011, 03:31 PM

I have that problem myself sometimes but not always. It seems to be ok sometimes when I go and then the next time I have no problems at all and it's the same shop. Either they are spraying something or they get a new batch of fabrics in, is when I have the most problems. Usually I throw all the fabrics in the truck of the car and when I get home they go straight to the washing machine. I only wash them once but I do use 1 cup of vinegar in the water and that seems to do the trick for me. I have had one piece of fabrics that I could not get a smell out of and it wasn't that noticeable until I put it in the dryer. I ended up throwing the fabric out because I would not want someone sleeping with that order. It' smelled like burnt oil or something. Like I said I didn't notice it until after I had dried it.

Another thing you must think about is that most fabric is now made overseas and it is shipped here so anything they spray in the ships to prevent mice and other insects is also possibly in the fabrics since they absorb orders. I know they wrap the fabric but still you never know the conditions in which it was shipped.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Absolutely, the fabrics give off fumes. So do new clothes! I used to take my daughter shopping and she would complain that she couldn't breathe!..Don't know what to tell you about how to help though!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM

Actually it could be the sizing and "fire retardant" in the fabrics. My DH and several other family memebers have this porblem.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Could be the sizing, etc in the fabrics.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:11 PM

I used to have the same kinds of reactions that many of you are talking about here - I would get one whiff and get a major migraine. There are masks that you can wear. If shop owners are doing something to increase allergy problems - ex. potpourri, burning insense - sometimes they get the message. I don't have problems in fabric stores any more. I severely limit my time in shops that have strong smells of potpourri, candles and things like that. The worst store I have been in lately is Bed Bath and Beyond. I really like to look there, but I won't be going in again unless I have a mask with me. I have even said something to them, however, one customer having a problem is one thing, several/many people complaining may have some impact. I hate air freshners, perfumed detergents and conditioners, etc.
I have found that unless someone has had problems themselves or knows someone who has problems like this, they just plain and flat don't get it.