Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops? >

Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops?

Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops?

Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by serenitybygrace
I used to have the same kinds of reactions that many of you are talking about here. There are masks that you can wear. If shop owners are doing something to increase allergy problems - ex. potpourri, burning insence - sometimes they get the message. I don't have problems in fabric stores any more. I severely limit my time in shops that have strong smells of potpourri, candles and things like that. The worst store I have been in lately is Bed Bath and Beyond. I really like to look there, but I won't be going in again unless I have a mask with me. I have even said something to them, however, one customer having a problem is one thing, several/many people complaining may have some impact. I hate air freshners, perfumed detergents and conditioners, etc.
If they were smart they would figure if someone complains there are others NOT complaining. They just don't shop there. There is no accounting for lost sales.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
chemicals most likely...but a small shop could also not be clean..like in dusted well, have good ventilation, etc..
if you go to joanns, or a larger fabric place does it happen??

my mom can not go into ANY fabric store...she gets an instant headache...
No, never had a problem at any shop, that's what is so strange. Must be something in that shop. I'll have to go back and find out----good excuse to touch more fabric--LOL
Old 10-10-2011, 08:47 PM

I too have that problem with a few stores, but they are not fabric stores. I am sure it is their heating-cooling units they have in the stores. Has to be something to do with the venting of them or filters not being changed. I have to stay inside when they crop dust in this area. I do keep masks in my car in case they start to crop dust as I am coming home.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow
I have a problem with JoAnns at times. Sometimes I just have to leave because I'll get a headache and feel nauseated.
I sometimes feel that way there. Thought it was the fumes from their scented pine cones.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:30 PM

dreadful, dear, just dreadful
Old 10-10-2011, 10:59 PM

I know this sounds so weird. I can be in a store, either a clothing store or a fabric store for quite sometime and then all of a sudden my eyes water, my nose runs and I break our in a sweat like a hot flash. I need to get out of that place as fast as I can. It is so strange because it doesn't happen right away. it seems like it is only after I've been there for a while. I think it has to do with the chemicals and sort of a cumulative effect because it does not happen at home with my "collection".
Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Podunk Princess
Originally Posted by pineneedles4
I have that exact reaction but only in one particular quilt shop and one yarn shop. I know the owner of the yarn shop sprays Fabreeze all over her shop and that is what I can't tolerate.
Maybe that was my problem. This particular shop has a section of high dollar hand-dyed wool yarns and I spent a lot of time near that section. I'll have to experiment next time I visit that shop. Thanks for the "clue."
That could be. I know I can't be anywhere near wool without breaking out in hives.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 AM

If you take allergy pills, be sure to take one before visiting a fabric shop. Some dyes cause problems. You may be able to tolerate a little but not a whole store full.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
Rita it might be some chemical they treat the fabrics with. A lot of it has fire retardant chemicals on it now. Just take an allergy pill when you plan to go and then make sure you wash your hands & fabric as soon as you get it home. Allergic to fabric is NOT a good thing for a quilter!! Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b
the sizing that is on alot of the imported fabrics is similar to formaldehyde. Also are the craft items from imported countries packed with sprayed packing material to decrease bugs and things. In some fabric and craft stores the shipping crates are brought into the store and then unpacked. So the fumes from these are let loose in the store. On days of new shipments, you can smell and know the difference than say two weeks later as it dissipates. A store that is not well ventilated will cause many allergy sufferers to have problems with it.
Just shopping I have a mild reaction I can tolerate. When I worked for a major chain store of fabrics and crafts, I increasingly began to have worse issues until I had to quit. Working the cutting table became my worst place due to handling the fabrics all day long. I would now know to use gloves, a cotton glove for me so my hands breathe.
But I still quilt without problems.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:41 PM

I know of a lady who owns a fabric store and is allergic to some of the fabrics. Depends where they are imported from