Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible to "ruin" a quilt on your first try? >

Is it possible to "ruin" a quilt on your first try?

Is it possible to "ruin" a quilt on your first try?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Let's see - I'd say I'm relatively new at quilting, but I have been sewing small projects by hand (hemming and the like) since I was a kid and sewing easy to med difficulty since then too. I'm mid-30's, but have never hand quilted on a quilt.

The hoop is big. BIG. It's bigger than my rear end, but I did try my hand tonight while watching tv. I just went around the outside of the stars. I got almost two rows done around one of the stars. I didn't mind the hoop at all - it helped me keep my place and keep everything in one spot. One of my kittens thought the hoop was a fun place to sit and play, so I don't think I had the fabric too tight, as there was plenty of give when he plopped down.

I buy a lot of vintage sewing notions, and I had my pick of a ton of old needles. I don't know what size I was using, but it was pretty comfortable in my hand. I definitely need a thimble - I can see going a lot faster if I wasn't so worried about poking myself.

I guess I just had jitters earlier. This quilt top, even though it is vintage and very cool, doesn't have sentimental value for me. Also it is very stained in several places, so I'm not going to sweat my stitching or any hoop residue too much.

It was a nice way to pass the time. Thanks for the encouragement ladies/gents (?) !

I will post some photos once I get more done.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 AM

I hand quilt. I'm on my 4th one...they are really time consuming. Even as I look at my first one I can see I've gotten better. I find designing is easy with hand quitting. I wouldn't think you could ruin anything, its yours!! Is this for use or display? I do everything for use, we all have firsts...if you have the stuff do make something else first and try it. I would say that not so much for the stitches but for the amount of time a big project takes to hand quilt, finding the right thimble, heal time for sore fingers and the right needle size. I love the results of hand quilting.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM

I fall firmly into the quilts are made to be used category! I'm sure I will get better with time, but making those first few stitches sure was scary. My DH likes to watch tv, and me not so much, so now I can "watch" with him and not get bored out of my skull.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM

There are some great teachers out there. Early on, I took a hand quilting class from a wonderful teacher and got the basics down. I could have never done it without "hitting the ground running". Not that I am that great but know I have done my best...whatever that is. Or, even YouTube these days. What I thought was not good enough in the beginning actually isn't that bad anyway. Also, I use a large hoop sometimes but find the great big ones too cumbersome.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 AM

Here's a photo of my progress. I bought a thimble today and some real quilting needles, so I think things should go more smoothly. I know the stitches aren't perfect, and they are pretty big, but I'm pleased overall.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]308915[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-progress.jpg