Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Postage stamp quilt >

Postage stamp quilt

Postage stamp quilt

Old 02-13-2011, 05:40 AM

I have made a couple of them. They are traditionally, 1 inch finished. I don't like to repeat a single fabric. I sew a light to a dark and create a block 10 x 10 then sew those blocks together. Yes, you can get honey buns and sew them all together and cut them up, but it's not enough variety, and doesn't have the same look as a traditional. I collect all those different fabrics from my own scrap stash, putting the word out to my quilting friends, I have even gone through the wastebaskets in the classroom of my LQS! So many people are happy to get rid of something that small or save them up for you. Try a mini-postage stamp first, by the end of that you will know if you want to do more!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Full size-? Let's say it's 90 x 90. Minus 10" for borders-that's 5" total on each side. Leaving 80 x 80. That's 6400 squares.
Been collecting long-? :)
Did you know there is a swap for these happening now?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
Full size-? Let's say it's 90 x 90. Minus 10" for borders-that's 5" total on each side. Leaving 80 x 80. That's 6400 squares.
I haven't been collecting at all...I've always gotten rid of scraps that are FQ and smaller...I usualy just keep yardage, so when I want to make something, there's a sure bet that I have enough of it.

This board has taught me to be more resourceful with the smaller amounts of scraps, crumbs, etc....and since I love scrappy quilts, I thought this would be a good one to make for my charity quilts. I usually just do the string quilts or panel quilts for my charities.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 PM

Have you seen:

http://www.quiltville.com

??? it is a scrap quilter's "paradise" ... Miss Bonnie knows what to do with scraps and offers a number of projects that will help you to use your scraps frugally as well as beautifully. <wave>
Old 02-13-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by omak
Have you seen:

http://www.quiltville.com

??? it is a scrap quilter's "paradise" ... Miss Bonnie knows what to do with scraps and offers a number of projects that will help you to use your scraps frugally as well as beautifully. <wave>
Yes, I saw her site...that's what also had me thinking ...I like her leaders/enders quilts...they are beautiful
Old 02-13-2011, 12:25 PM

I made one, and I just kept adding to it, until it was king size.....started out with scraps, but .. then I had to go and buy more, of course... to get enough to do that size. It is pretty tho.........used lights and darks of anything I had for a scrap. I never even thought about counting how many square it took.......I did 2x2 squares of scraps.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
Originally Posted by Mariposa
I haven't been collecting at all...I've always gotten rid of scraps that are FQ and smaller...I usualy just keep yardage, so when I want to make something, there's a sure bet that I have enough of it.

We keep clear plastic bins for 1",2",3",4" squares .If you start automatically cutting your scraps as you cut out pattern pieces it builds up really fast.If I have a scrap piece that is a little over 2" then I cut it into a 2" square,and the others the same way

This board has taught me to be more resourceful with the smaller amounts of scraps, crumbs, etc....and since I love scrappy quilts, I thought this would be a good one to make for my charity quilts. I usually just do the string quilts or panel quilts for my charities.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
How many squares does it take to make a full size postage stamp quilt?
Don't know the count, but I do know that's one quilt I have no desire to make... :)
Old 02-14-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
not sure but if you make it before April when the rates increase you'll use less blocks.

(ba dum dum!)
Dumm be dumm
Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 PM

HaHa. Good one!!