Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 46 of 46

Thread: posting multiple yardage

  1. #26
    Super Member brendadawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    MN / GA
    Posts
    1,490
    I read some time ago that the USPS wouldn't take the 4.95 flat rate envelopes if they were "fat"; but I'm still receiving them, so not sure what's going on. Maybe it just depends on your post office. I also have received some of these "fat" ones that have busted and marvel at how I received everything.

  2. #27
    Senior Member Aunt Sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I can get 6 yards of regular quilting fabric in a FRE fairly easily.

    It does require special folding - and I would not do it if I was running a business - it takes too long to make it fit.

    It is worth buying a fairly accurate scale (accurate to 0.1 ounce) if one is planning to do any amount of shipping. I think a decent one can be purchased for less than $30.
    Are you talking about a flat-rate envelope for $4.95? I don't see how that much (even half that) could possibly fit in a flat rate envelope. I have stuffed one until it was ripping, then taped it with wide tape to keep it together and closed, and still only got a few yards in. I know they have the larger envelopes, but they charge by weight. How much would 7 or 8 yards cost to mail approx.?
    I get up to 8 yds in the Flat Rate envelopes all the time. It's all in how you fold it. They also have new Legal Size Flat Rate envelopes that are a bit bigger and are still $4.95 but you have to order them from USPS.

  3. #28
    Senior Member GlitzyMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston - Orlando
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    I mail a legal size enevlope today with only 5 sheet of copy paper in it. and it cost $1.08. was told that just becaue of the size of the enevlope it will begin at $1.08.
    A #10 business size envelope will go for a first class postage stamp with 8 sheets of copy paper. Triple fold and PRESS those seams down to make them flat.

    My sister and I send packages back and forth between NH and FL all the time. Amazing what we can fit in flat rate boxes. I have made quilts for her grandchildren for Christmas. I packed them in Space Bags, sucked the air out of them and they were teeny. She will remove them from the bags, fluff in the dryer and wrap them for Christmas.

    We used to have a large padded manilla envelope that went back and forth many, many times for 3 years. Each time one of us sent it we added a quote, rubber stamp or some little gem to the outside til it was covered back and front. Got a new postmistress who refused to let it go thru....long before 9/11. Our mail carriers loved seeing how creative we were with it.

    And I used to send things thru the mail to my grandchildren in 1 liter clear coke bottles....cut the bottom off, insert the items, hot glue it back together. Not sure if this would be considered legal now even tho you can see the items insde. They were fun things, more for the kids to get mail when they were small.

  4. #29
    Super Member Favorite Fabrics's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Posts
    4,097
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by barbo117
    The on-line fabric store I buy from can get 8 yards in a flat rate envelope. I have noticed what they do is fold the fabrics together, not folded seperately. In other words that will lay a one yard cut on top of other one yard cuts and then fold neatly together. Sure does seem to cut down on the bulk. First time I purchased from them I thought they had shorted me on some of my material until I discovered they were folded together. It worked!
    That's what we do, too. And we try to put the prettiest fabric on top! :D

  5. #30
    Thusnelda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    CH
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda

    Yep, and it always arrives safely. I've ordered with you. Works like a dream.

    But while we're talking of packaging one piece of advice or question:

    Could you please put the shipping costs on the outside of the package, too, together with the value of the fabric? Apparently taxes are also due on shipping and handling. Because they had to open the package I had to pay heavy - and I mean heavy* - tax fees on the last package I received.

    *It was like 30$ of tax fee for 70$ of fabric, mainly because they had to open the package to find out the costs for postage and handling.

    I will make sure to ask you to do that with my next order. For now, thank you for the perfect service I've received so far.
    I see you're in Switzerland! I just looked to see if there was any information available for individuals in Switzerland who buy goods online and to my delight found that the official website can be read in four languages (including English)! :thumbup: :thumbup:

    Here is a link to the page that discusses this issue:
    http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_pri...x.html?lang=en

    I read it through twice, and it seems duty is charged based upon the weight of the package, and then VAT is added as well. On that page it also says, "However, alcoholic drinks, tobacco products, food and textiles are subject to higher duty rates. "

    It didn't mention anything at all about shipping or freight costs being included or excluded from the calculation of the VAT, so I'm really not sure what happens on the receiving end.

    I do know that in the UK, customers get taxed on both the goods AND the shipping charges.

    I'd be interested to know how other countries handle this.
    Wow, many thanks! I will certainly follow up on the information supplied by you once I'm back from my business trip.

    Thank you! You offer terrific service!

  6. #31
    Senior Member busygranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wis
    Posts
    831
    Blog Entries
    1
    I"m with you. I can't get that much in those boxes either. Also I cannot ship 1 yd of fabric for less than $3.05. I was turned down for trying to sell 1yd panel for $11.00 including shipping. Was told it didn't cost that much to ship. I always go to P.O. first to find out shipping and it goes by weight and how far it goes. So just don't bother anymore.

  7. #32
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    S. Texas
    Posts
    2,066
    I could not find the flat rate bubble or padded envelopes? What do I need to do?

  8. #33
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,064
    Blog Entries
    20
    Do any of you roll your fabric when mailing? I've done that with my clothes when traveling and it really does take up less space. Just wondering.

  9. #34
    Super Member Favorite Fabrics's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Posts
    4,097
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky
    I could not find the flat rate bubble or padded envelopes? What do I need to do?
    I don't think the local Post Offices carry them. I believe you have to order them online at http://www.usps.com .

  10. #35
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda

    Yep, and it always arrives safely. I've ordered with you. Works like a dream.

    But while we're talking of packaging one piece of advice or question:

    Could you please put the shipping costs on the outside of the package, too, together with the value of the fabric? Apparently taxes are also due on shipping and handling. Because they had to open the package I had to pay heavy - and I mean heavy* - tax fees on the last package I received.

    *It was like 30$ of tax fee for 70$ of fabric, mainly because they had to open the package to find out the costs for postage and handling.

    I will make sure to ask you to do that with my next order. For now, thank you for the perfect service I've received so far.
    I see you're in Switzerland! I just looked to see if there was any information available for individuals in Switzerland who buy goods online and to my delight found that the official website can be read in four languages (including English)! :thumbup: :thumbup:

    Here is a link to the page that discusses this issue:
    http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_pri...x.html?lang=en

    I read it through twice, and it seems duty is charged based upon the weight of the package, and then VAT is added as well. On that page it also says, "However, alcoholic drinks, tobacco products, food and textiles are subject to higher duty rates. "

    It didn't mention anything at all about shipping or freight costs being included or excluded from the calculation of the VAT, so I'm really not sure what happens on the receiving end.

    I do know that in the UK, customers get taxed on both the goods AND the shipping charges.

    I'd be interested to know how other countries handle this.
    In Vanuatu, you pay vat (12 1/2%) and duty on value of goods PLUS shipping/mailing charges. Not only that, but they charge the duty and add it, and THEN figure the VAT on the total!! When I lived there full-time for 19 years, I couldn't get anyone to ship to me, so I always had to have orders shipped to my son in San Diego, then rely on him to re-send it to me. So I paid shipping to San Diego, shipping to Vanuatu, VAT and Duty!!. This was until I started making a trip back once a year, then I loaded up myself and paid the excess baggage!

  11. #36
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky
    I could not find the flat rate bubble or padded envelopes? What do I need to do?
    I don't think the local Post Offices carry them. I believe you have to order them online at http://www.usps.com .
    Yes, you have to order them on-line. I just ordered 10 of them today.

  12. #37
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky
    I could not find the flat rate bubble or padded envelopes? What do I need to do?
    You can only get those on-line- USPS.com

  13. #38
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vondae
    Do any of you roll your fabric when mailing? I've done that with my clothes when traveling and it really does take up less space. Just wondering.
    Those flat rate cardboard envelopes don't have any thickness on the sides or bottom, so they won't expand that much without tearing. I stuff them, then tape all around the edges, but still never get close to 7-8 yards.

  14. #39
    Super Member wraez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Adelanto, CA
    Posts
    4,053
    I saw this today too and recently I sold some fabric here and it was all I could do to squeeze in 4 yards and tape well so that it wouldn't explode in transit ... and worrying that the PO would tell me that I couldn't put so much tape on it!

    Can't wait to read the answer to this one!

  15. #40
    Super Member TacoMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    3,277
    Blog Entries
    2
    I can get 6 yards in a FRE, but not any more than that. I need to see a tut on getting 8 yards in one.

  16. #41
    Super Member TacoMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    3,277
    Blog Entries
    2
    When shipping fabric, etc overseas/international, if you will check "gift", the receipent will NOT have to pay taxes on it is what I have been told.

  17. #42
    Senior Member suzanprincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Posts
    450
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just checked at USPS.com and yes, both the 3" longer legal size and the padded letter size ship at the same $4.95 rate as the letter size flat rate envelope. You can even buy prepaid "forever" postaged packs to be ready for the next rate increase. To stuff in more, though, how about the small flat rate box? It only costs 25 cents more than the enevlope.... All have a maximum weight limit of 70 pounds, and even lead melted into a just-fits block would weigh less than that.

  18. #43
    Super Member Favorite Fabrics's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Posts
    4,097
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMama
    When shipping fabric, etc overseas/international, if you will check "gift", the receipent will NOT have to pay taxes on it is what I have been told.
    Yes, but the shipper is required by law to truthfully list the contents and the value of the package. Meaning... check it as a "gift" if it truly is a gift, but if it is "merchandise" it must be noted as such.

    And, even if it IS a gift, it depends on the laws in the destination country whether it will be taxable of not. Just as an example, taken from the Switzerland Customs website (link posted on page 2 of this thread), it says:

    "In certain cases, the market value is taken into account, e.g. in the case of a gift. The market value corresponds to the sum that another buyer would have had to pay for the item."

  19. #44
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMama
    When shipping fabric, etc overseas/international, if you will check "gift", the receipent will NOT have to pay taxes on it is what I have been told.
    In Vanuatu (not that anyone would ship there, but---), our post office allows $50.00 value as free of duty for a gift, but they also add in the postage to that $50.00-so, if the item is declared at $35.00, and postage was $25.00, the total value is $60.00 and over the gift limit, so they charge duty on the WHOLE amount!!But then again, this is Vanuatu, and they have no income tax, so they rip you off anyway they want.

  20. #45
    Super Member Just Me...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,954
    You can do it if it is just one cut. The key is at the end...folding in thirds.....

  21. #46
    Member suemac54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    42
    We can get 7-8 yds of cotton fabric in a FRE. It just takes practice to know how to fold it. Only about 4 yds of flannel will fit. If you get your postage on line you can ship for 4.75 with free delivery confirmation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.