Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
posting multiple yardage >

posting multiple yardage

posting multiple yardage

Old 09-23-2011, 10:21 AM

I"m with you. I can't get that much in those boxes either. Also I cannot ship 1 yd of fabric for less than $3.05. I was turned down for trying to sell 1yd panel for $11.00 including shipping. Was told it didn't cost that much to ship. I always go to P.O. first to find out shipping and it goes by weight and how far it goes. So just don't bother anymore.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:31 PM

I could not find the flat rate bubble or padded envelopes? What do I need to do?
Old 09-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Do any of you roll your fabric when mailing? I've done that with my clothes when traveling and it really does take up less space. Just wondering.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:39 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by mucky
I could not find the flat rate bubble or padded envelopes? What do I need to do?
I don't think the local Post Offices carry them. I believe you have to order them online at http://www.usps.com .
Old 09-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by Thusnelda

Yep, and it always arrives safely. I've ordered with you. Works like a dream.

But while we're talking of packaging one piece of advice or question:

Could you please put the shipping costs on the outside of the package, too, together with the value of the fabric? Apparently taxes are also due on shipping and handling. Because they had to open the package I had to pay heavy - and I mean heavy* - tax fees on the last package I received.

*It was like 30$ of tax fee for 70$ of fabric, mainly because they had to open the package to find out the costs for postage and handling.

I will make sure to ask you to do that with my next order. For now, thank you for the perfect service I've received so far.
I see you're in Switzerland! I just looked to see if there was any information available for individuals in Switzerland who buy goods online and to my delight found that the official website can be read in four languages (including English)! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Here is a link to the page that discusses this issue:
http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_pri...x.html?lang=en

I read it through twice, and it seems duty is charged based upon the weight of the package, and then VAT is added as well. On that page it also says, "However, alcoholic drinks, tobacco products, food and textiles are subject to higher duty rates. "

It didn't mention anything at all about shipping or freight costs being included or excluded from the calculation of the VAT, so I'm really not sure what happens on the receiving end.

I do know that in the UK, customers get taxed on both the goods AND the shipping charges.

I'd be interested to know how other countries handle this.
In Vanuatu, you pay vat (12 1/2%) and duty on value of goods PLUS shipping/mailing charges. Not only that, but they charge the duty and add it, and THEN figure the VAT on the total!! When I lived there full-time for 19 years, I couldn't get anyone to ship to me, so I always had to have orders shipped to my son in San Diego, then rely on him to re-send it to me. So I paid shipping to San Diego, shipping to Vanuatu, VAT and Duty!!. This was until I started making a trip back once a year, then I loaded up myself and paid the excess baggage!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I don't think the local Post Offices carry them. I believe you have to order them online at http://www.usps.com .
Yes, you have to order them on-line. I just ordered 10 of them today.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM

You can only get those on-line- USPS.com
Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by vondae
Do any of you roll your fabric when mailing? I've done that with my clothes when traveling and it really does take up less space. Just wondering.
Those flat rate cardboard envelopes don't have any thickness on the sides or bottom, so they won't expand that much without tearing. I stuff them, then tape all around the edges, but still never get close to 7-8 yards.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 PM

I saw this today too and recently I sold some fabric here and it was all I could do to squeeze in 4 yards and tape well so that it wouldn't explode in transit ... and worrying that the PO would tell me that I couldn't put so much tape on it!

Can't wait to read the answer to this one!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:55 PM

I can get 6 yards in a FRE, but not any more than that. I need to see a tut on getting 8 yards in one.