Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pounce pad and chalk >

pounce pad and chalk

pounce pad and chalk

Old 01-14-2015, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bigdogmom View Post
I tried using it for my long arm, but the speed of machine makes chalk bounce off. I end up pouncing chalk on stencil then tracing with washout blue marker. I ask their sales rep at a quilt show and he told me to swipe the pouncer twice over the stencil then use cheap hairspray over design! I think that would gum up my needles plus fix the chalk where it would not brush off. I feel it was waste of money!
I quilt with a longarm. The hairspray will not gum up the needle and this works. I have also sprayed with a fine mist of water and it also gets the chalk to stay on long enough to quilt the design. Your other option is to use the Ultimate powder which stays put until you remove it with a steam iron.

I love my pounce pad when I need to use a stencil. It is fast and easy.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:11 AM

Has anyone ever ground up kids chalk into a fine powder isn't that what the pounce powder is? Could u put it in a plastic bag and use a hammer until it' really fine. just a thought. Never know till one tries.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:29 AM

Try Joann.com they have quilting supplies sale 50% off. I saw a pounce and refills.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I tried the powder pounce and gave it away. I prefer the sewing chalk wheel with white powder chalk. Sharp lines for stitching and the powder comes of easily with a brush of a hand.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:32 AM

I would like to thank all those that chimed in with your thoughts and suggestions. I am going to try the talc powder. Also, a generous board member has offered me the pad and powder for postage. You know who you are....thank you so much. I may take you up on the offer.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

With the pounce and powder, a fat makeup brush might work. Maybe not so much work. Depending on the cheap hairspray be careful. It can work like epoxy glue. It'll drop a flying insect in flight like a bomb. I would stay away from the Aqua Net at least.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=tessagin;7049992]With the pounce and powder, a fat makeup brush might work. Maybe not so much work. Depending on the cheap hairspray be careful. It can work like epoxy glue. It'll drop a flying insect in flight like a bomb. I would stay away from the Aqua Net at least.[/

Thanks for the tip.
Have never used Aqua Net. Must be a bad one.
I seldom use hairspray as I am sensitive to the chemical smells. For times when I do need a spray, I use L'oreal.
It has a smell but the smell dissipates fast.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

A longarmer for hire told me to use baby powder in a couple pieces of cheese cloth. Make the cheese cloth into a ball by tying the ends. Once she pounces she uses cheap 99cent store hair spray to fix it in place. She does only quilts for others and has a store just for the long arm.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I tried the powder pounce and gave it away. I prefer the sewing chalk wheel with white powder chalk. Sharp lines for stitching and the powder comes of easily with a brush of a hand.
My powder with the chalk wheel says 'Fons & Porter' and I got it at JoAnns. It comes with pink white and blue chalk powder and you can get refills. I am not sure I would like to do a whole quilt with these but the chalk stays where I put it and comes out in the wash. I really know little about the pounce pad and chalk. I am sure different quilters have different opinions. I hope this helps a little anyway.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
A longarmer for hire told me to use baby powder in a couple pieces of cheese cloth. Make the cheese cloth into a ball by tying the ends. Once she pounces she uses cheap 99cent store hair spray to fix it in place. She does only quilts for others and has a store just for the long arm.
Sounds like a plan.
Thanks.