Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
lemoyne star size d cup help >

lemoyne star size d cup help

lemoyne star size d cup help

Old 01-14-2015, 07:28 AM

Default lemoyne star size d cup help

does anyone know how to get the Lemoyne star to lay flat? I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I only got 1 post about the Lemoyne star when I did a search & it wasn't about the raised center.
My blocks look good (flat) until I put the 2 halves together then they raised a bump in the middle.
I have sewn all the way across the block & sewn to the middle from each side but get the bumps either way. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

You can just sew a thicker center seam but you will cut off some points. The bias edges have probably stretched during construction. Check to see if they are all still the correct size with a ruler. The only way I have found to correct this problem is to sew in a little thicker seam, maybe one thread width on each point piece. Make sure to stop the 1/4 inch from the center point so you can twirl the selvages points after sewing the center seam.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:00 AM

Try putting your finger in the middle of the block , on the backside, and mush the down hard and separate the seam allowance so you can get a swirl like Tartan said. This may help.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

The 2 sections probably look flat, but are the 2 edges that you are going to join straight? The 2 edges have to be straight or you will get a cupped center. You could trim the 2 edges but then the center star is going to be off. You can also take all the sections apart and make sure that the center angle is correct on each segment. 8 segments = 45 degrees. You can either trim the sections or mark the seam line to get the perfect angle and sew on the line, taking a larger seam where the segments are bigger. By working with the individual segments, the excess fabric should be taken up across all of them resulting in a better looking center star.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the quick responses, I knew I could get help here.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I love the Lemoyne Star but I just know it is above my abilities, so I just enjoy looking at ones others have made. Looking on the internet and I'm sure you will learn lots. I'm sure youtube has a video about it.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 AM

I just have to add that this is a hilarious way to describe the quilt problem. I knew exactly what you were talking about, and it was sooooo funny. Hope you get it worked out, and thanks for the chuckle.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:24 AM

After sewing two diamond segments together and press the use a ruler and make sure that the square at the points, if it doesn't readjust your seams and check again. Something people will want to trim it up, but then the diamond points will not be the same size. Same goes when sewing the two pairs together, put a straight edge all the center part and make sure it is straight. When all sections are sewn together you would want to press the seams to all go in one direction, open the center points and take out a few stitches and you can get the center seam allowance to swirl and it should lay flat when pressed with the swirl.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:38 AM

For me the best thing that works to have all those center seams lay flat is to hand stitch them. I made the six inch star by using the method of Linda Franz and Inklingo. I realize that your stars are machine stitched and you are having trouble with the center laying flat. I am sending you a link: http://lindafranz.com/shop/diamonds/...star-6-inch/24 to her free pattern. In it she also tells how to press the star so you center lays flat. This is just for your information on pressing. Hope this may help you.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

For me I have had much better luck sewing each segment together, pressing seams in the same direction so they travel around the block all going the same way, instead of trying to line up the 2 halves. I found with my lone Stars that they come out perfect & lay flat when I do them each segment individually. When I try the (2-halves) method I wind up using my seam ripper A Lot! And, never get it right until I take a number of segments apart & start over- one at a time. For me it is faster and much more accurate