Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
lemoyne star size d cup help >

lemoyne star size d cup help

lemoyne star size d cup help

Old 01-16-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
After sewing two diamond segments together and press the use a ruler and make sure that the square at the points, if it doesn't readjust your seams and check again. Something people will want to trim it up, but then the diamond points will not be the same size. Same goes when sewing the two pairs together, put a straight edge all the center part and make sure it is straight. When all sections are sewn together you would want to press the seams to all go in one direction, open the center points and take out a few stitches and you can get the center seam allowance to swirl and it should lay flat when pressed with the swirl.
I think Barb has your answer. Trim and square every seam as you go. There are diagonal lines on the ruler. Use them and make your edges match. When you get to sewing the last two halves together, both edges must be straight.

Pressing all seams the same direction around the center makes it much easier to sew onto the next portion. I always try to have the centers to my right, wrong side up, and press away from me. Then turn it right side up to be sure all seams have no creases and are nice and crisp. When finished, you should be able to run your iron all around the center on the wrong side in a clockwise manner.

Last edited by maviskw; 01-16-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:32 AM

I've used a hammer on a (flat surface) and put a dish towel over the quilt. One pound is usually all I need.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:55 AM

I know what you mean with the "d" cup - that is the very same problem I always have when trying to make star type quilts - its is something I hope to master someday. I hope you get yours figured out - in the meantime I am sympathizing with you - I will eat a chocolate piece in your honor. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:55 AM

I LOVE the Lemoyne star. I have the pattern and all of the fabric that I want for this project. Never heard anything about it not lying flat....not sure if I have the ability to do this now....Maybe I will finish a simpler quilt first....
Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by laurilli View Post
does anyone know how to get the Lemoyne star to lay flat? I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I only got 1 post about the Lemoyne star when I did a search & it wasn't about the raised center.
My blocks look good (flat) until I put the 2 halves together then they raised a bump in the middle.
I have sewn all the way across the block & sewn to the middle from each side but get the bumps either way. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
All I can tell you is just keep working at it, you will get it flat. I made a 47" dresden plate that had a "volcano" problem. I had 40 seams to adjust until it laid flat, but it did eventually lay flat. Sew your pairs to get her, measure and adjust, then sew halves, measure and adjust, then try the centerfront seam with pins first, then sew once it is flat. You can do it!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:25 PM

Thanks everyone, now after a lot of one-on-one time with my seam ripper my stars are now all FLAT-CHESTED!!lol
sailsablazin don't let this thread scare you, if I can do it (with some help from everyone here) anybody can do it.
Go for it.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 PM

I seem to remember from years ago that I was told to start in the center and sew to the outer edge. Stop. Start on the other side and sew to the other outer edge/ Stop. That is supposed to keep the "cup" from producing a volcano.Hope it works.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
I've used a hammer on a (flat surface) and put a dish towel over the quilt. One pound is usually all I need.
I was at a quilt show and saw a vendor demonstrating their hammer for this very purpose. The hammer was very similar to the type used in card making (for the embellishments).
Old 01-17-2015, 05:37 AM

Lemoyne stars are beautiful and I had always stayed away from them until I bought Deb Tucker's Lemoyne Star ruler. The come out perfect and very flat......really love that ruler. I promise you no more C ormD cup Lemoyne Stars!!!!!
Old 01-17-2015, 05:52 AM
dd

Barb is right. The pattern I have says to press the seams on the strips but when you sew the strips together don't press until everything is sewn together. It says you will be tempted but DON'T DO IT and it will lay flat. Mine came out perfectly flat. I was pleasantly surprised. I also starched my fabric. A lot.