Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • POWERFUL lightweight iron >
  • POWERFUL lightweight iron

• POWERFUL lightweight iron

Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Letty
    Hi I just wish I could buy one of those irons that switch off after a time. So often when I go back into my sewing room the next day , oh dear the iron is still on. !!!
    I have a great solution for not leaving the iron on. It's a timer you plug the iron into. When I turn it on, I usually know about how long I will be using the iron. Here is a link on Amazon to see it: http://www.amazon.com/Woods-Import-D...rds=Plug+timer
    Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 AM
    Power Poster

I love my Rowenta...
    Old 09-13-2013, 05:29 AM

I have an oreck that I like but I really love my Shark... it's lightweight and heats great! A few quilter friends have gotten the Shark and love theirs also. I think I paid about $30 for it at Walmart about 4 years ago!
    Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 AM

I had a devil of a time trying to find an iron that would not shut off automatically! I found an older B&D at Goodwill for $3.99 and love it - I also got a Tefal for ($4.99) - gorgeous iron with steam spouts all over and really heats up! Problem was one or two passes on something using steam and you need to put more water in it!! :-) Have a Rowenta that leaks like a sieve (I don't use any more). My favorite is that little Black & Decker - but I realize you are looking for a "steamless". I also have plugged mine into a cord with a switch and (knock on wood) haven't had any problem so far, I like that I can just flip it when I am ready to leave the room. It is good to hear about all of these reasonably priced irons - it seems like they all go up about the time you are looking for one. :-)

Marysewfun
    Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Letty
    Hi I just wish I could buy one of those irons that switch off after a time. So often when I go back into my sewing room the next day , oh dear the iron is still on. !!!
    I have everything (sewing machine, Ott light, iron, fan) plugged into a power strip. When I take a break from sewing, even if it is just a short one, I unplug the power strip from the wall. That way, I know everything is turned off. My sewing machine repairman told me years ago to always unplug my machine even if it was plugged into a power strip with a surge protector, because electricity is a funny thing and can do some crazy things.

P.S. That is why you should always unplug your computer, refrigerator, TV, microwave, etc. during a thunderstorm.
    Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 AM

Hi. My Rowenta travel iron had great heat for 2 1/2 weeks and then quit working. Won't buy another one.
    Old 09-13-2013, 08:48 AM

Have any of you seen the cordless Panasonic? You can use it with steam or without? It is I think a 1200 watt iron, which is really hot! The water tank comes off! Which makes it even lighter! I saw it at the Grand Rapids Quilt Show. The price there was $99.00. Is that high?
    Old 09-13-2013, 09:29 AM

I have ironed for 50+ years and would never pay the $150-200 they want for the fancy irons and they don't seem to last that long many times. I would rather buy a B & D for $20-30 and when it goes, buy a new one. Fixing things costs to much today and they make them that way.
    Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM

I have both a Black and Decker and a Sunbeam. Both bought at Walmart for about $30.00. Both lightweight and get HOT. Like them both.
    Old 09-13-2013, 03:44 PM

I have this iron from the Vermont store and I like it when I don't want steam. It is heavy though!