Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PQ1500S Quilting/Sewing Machine? >

PQ1500S Quilting/Sewing Machine?

PQ1500S Quilting/Sewing Machine?

Old 03-31-2014, 04:55 AM

Thanks, Wendy Quilting in one direction seems more natural and easier for me, too. How is your laser attached to your machine or carriage? Can you show a picture? Also, can you explain your process for "floating"? With a panto, aren't you working from the back of the machine? Trying to picture how this would work
Linda
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 PM

I am currently looking at the Brother PQ1500S. I previously was looking at the Juki TL2010q but apparently there are multiple problems actually getting the machine in stock......I think the wait time is now 6 months if I was to buy from a dealer. Then I 'discovered' the Brother and am fascinated by it. Can someone please give me direction, I used to sell Pfaff machines and was a Pfaff tech so not afraid of not having the support of a dealer. Friends dragged me into quilting and now I love the process. I was given a SuperQuilter frame 3 years ago but during that time my DH became sick and passed away. I am now ready to set up the frame and purchase a machine to use on it and to use when quilting. Any and all hints, tips, and recommendations are greatly appreciated. I have noticed that Brother has a new model out but do not know what the advantages of that one could be? Help!!!! Please. The money is so burning a hole in my pocket ........ Thanks
Old 04-01-2014, 02:24 AM

The Brother and Juki are pretty much the same machine. The Juki has the thread cutter in the foot control, the Brother has it as a push button cutter on the front of the machine. The Brother has pin feed which works well for heavy fabrics and is very nice for piecing and straight line quilting. It can be engaged or disengaged depending on your project. The Juki is blue. The Brother is white. The machines are so similar either Juki builds the Brother PQ1500S for Brother or Brother Builds the Juki TL2010Q for Juki.

ETA: Brother has come out with some really fine BLUE machines like the Dreamweaver series in the last couple years. I personally believe Brother builds the Juki. I have used Brother machines since 2003 so when I bought the PQ1500S in November of '13 it was like sitting down with an old friend.

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 04-01-2014 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Color
Old 04-03-2014, 04:05 PM

I love mine. Do all my FMQ and piecing on it. Only use my Viking Sapphire for fancy stitches. I use all threads, never had it balk at any. That includes metallic, Connecting Threads, Coats and Clarks and the pricey stuff. It doesn't seem to care. I had trouble at first getting a "feel" for the petal. Would speed up too fast. I taped a piece of cardboard on it that required me to push a little harder to get up to high speeds. Helped a lot. Now, I don't need that anymore. Brush it out pretty much after every project and oil it every few weeks - very easy. Very cheap.
Incidentally, it is the same as the Babylock Jane and a Janome machine. You pay more for those names, but identical machine.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by JenelTX View Post
Someone on this board told me about a Yahoo group for PQ1500S owners. I've been a member for a year or two now, and get such great information there. Here's the link: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PQ1500/info
I highly second membership in this group. The Brother 1500s is a popular machine and there are many very helpful owners in that group. Also, there is a ton of helpful information in their files - including a service manual - not to be confused with a user manual.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:14 PM

I joined the Yahoo group last week. The previous owner of my PQ1500s belonged and said it was a very informative and supportive site. She was able to download the missing pages for the directions to load a quilt on my quilting frame. I have seen lots of discussion about thread, tension settings, etc. I think it will be very helpful to me when I do finally get everything loaded and running. I happened to think I could probably use any old sheet for top and backing and perhaps a piece of old mattress cover for practice loading and FMQ practice. Does anyone think that would be a problem? I hate to waste good fabric and batting if I have some of these things around.