Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pre - washing everything ? yes or no >

pre - washing everything ? yes or no

pre - washing everything ? yes or no

Old 04-15-2011, 02:48 AM

If you want to be certain, wash. It is ALWAYS the safest thing to do.

However, not everyone does wash. Some have not had any problems by not washing ahead of time and prefer the feel of unwashed fabric.

So...if you are the type of person who hates risk...wash.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
you can purchase batting's that have little to no shrinkage- it is really not necessary to pre-wash your batting. if you want tough- gonna last through many washes usable quilts poly batts will hold up without shrinkage much better than cotton which does shrink. there are many different batts on the market and being new you may want to try everything- start a little batt journal- when you buy a batt cut a 6" (or what ever size you like) square and write down the name of the batt, where you found it, how much it cost, the quilting recommendations (each batt will tell you if you have to quilt every 2" *very dense quilting* or if you can quilt up to 10" apart and everything in between)
and then add what you think of it when you use it...was it easy to sew through, did it pull apart? did you like it or hate it?
i am a long-arm er and have customers bring their own batts all the time- some i hate to work with some i love, some are ok...the ones i really hate to work with i talk to the customer about when they bring it, letting them know why i don't like it, showing them when possible and sometimes switching it to something else- sometimes even if i hate it i use it because it is what is believed to be the right batt for that project.
start with reading the packages, and buy one that sounds good to you- and try it.. :thumbup:
wow thankyou alot, yes being new at this its easy to get lost in what to do, your advise is great i shall do what you suggested. purchasing the batting is the next thing to do.

thankyou
Old 04-15-2011, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
Originally Posted by janedb
thankyou for your help i shall now start the long process and i just brought heaps of material.. lol

thx jane
Hi Jane and welcome. It is best to wash fabric asap. That way it is ready to go when you want it.
Starching the fabric after washing just makes it better to work with. Starch is preferable to chemicals. IMHO.
I just washed and ironed my first 15 yards of material. even though i did not have starch the material looks very flat. haha. i am tired out now.

thx heaps for the advice.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:07 AM

I don't pre-wash, have not have a problem as yet. I like the vintage wrinkled look, so plan the size of my quilt accordingly. My quilts are "working" quilts so they are used to sleep under, cuddle under the couch and build tents with, so they need to be easily washable.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by monkicat
I don't pre-wash, have not have a problem as yet. I like the vintage wrinkled look, so plan the size of my quilt accordingly. My quilts are "working" quilts so they are used to sleep under, cuddle under the couch and build tents with, so they need to be easily washable.
Hi, I have decided to make one with washed material and one without and that way i shall see which i like best.
Yes I plan for mine to be working quilts too.

Thankyou.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by trif
I only pre wash flannel since it tends to shrink the most, the rest of the fabric gets washed after it's a completed quilt, binding and all I just toss in a color catcher into the wash and viola' no worries for me:)
Hi thats a great idea having a color catcher to throw in, for the just in case times.

thx
Old 04-15-2011, 03:17 AM

If the pattern calls for you not to wash the fabric when pressing if you use a steam iron it will help the fabric shrink so press before you cut the fabric or your blocks you cut at 6 inches might end up being 5 3/4..
Old 04-15-2011, 03:56 AM

I don't usually pre-wash.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by janedb
Originally Posted by tangledthread
I just spent 5 months on a quilt, fussy cutting, squaring up, FMQ just to wash it and find out it shrank 6" both ways, I will always pre-wash from here on out.
hi. do you tumble dry then iron with starch. ? a few people have mentioned needing to use starch. to stiffen up the fabric again to cut properly ? is this neccessary.
Not necessary, but definitely helpful. Starching it will help you tremendously when sewing, because of the sides with bias edges. It'll assist in less distortion/stretch.

As far as batting goes, if you're using poly it won't shrink. Warm & Natural shrinks I think its 3%. I personally never wash my batting, but do wash all my material. It then gives a little crinkled look. Now if you're going to use W&N and you don't want the crinkled look, I wouldn't put in washer, I would lay out flat and spray mist it and then put in dryer.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:01 AM

PreWASH nothing!

One time I did soak a bunch of reds in the bath tub and then hung them to dry. I dunno what I did but none of them bled!