Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Precut Kits >

Precut Kits

Precut Kits

Old 02-03-2011, 07:39 AM

I have done a quilt from Hearthside Quilts that was pre-cut, and I LOVED it! I didn't have to worry about making a wrong cut, a lop-sided cut, cleaning off the table to cut, or even cutting myself. When it got here, I could start sewing. Really, really enjoyed that! Haven't ordered a pre-cut kit like that but once, but I sure did enjoy it!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 AM

Sometimes the LQS is willing to cut the fabric, especially for a fee. Have you asked your LQS about this? Or maybe your husband would like to be involved and he could cut for you?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 AM

I want to scream, because I just saw one quilt shop on the fabhopshop that did this. You picked out the pattern and material choices and they cut the pieces for you. Unfortunately, my brain can't remember which place it was. I started in the X's and did the X,Y, Z shops and have been through A-I.....so it is one of those. Not much help but if I run across it again, I will let you know!

eta: YAHOO!! I found it again for you!

http://www.stitchsimple.com/shopping/default.asp
Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

pre-cut kits the pieces are cut for you--john flinn sells alot of pre-cut kits...if it is just a fabric kit then YOU cut the pieces.
i would base the decision on the size of the quilt...to determine if that is a good deal.if you were going to buy that quilt...all done, would you expect to pay at least twice that? if so...it is worth it...and just the saving your body part is priceless. personally i do not buy kits mainly because i NEVER seem to like the fabrics that come with them...i always wind up putting that fabric into the stash and making the quilt out of fabrics i pick out...so for me it makes no sense to spend money on kits...pre-cut or not...but if you want your quilt to look like the one in the magazine and don't want to cut it all out- --
Originally Posted by Candace
You will still have to do all the cutting, so really the only benefit is that the fabric has all been coordinated for you. Personally, I don't care for kits as I like to choose my own fabrics to make it mine. Now, if you want pre-cut pieces like tumbler blocks etc. from an Accuquilt system, that would probably fit your needs more.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by donnaree59
I have done a quilt from Hearthside Quilts that was pre-cut, and I LOVED it! I didn't have to worry about making a wrong cut, a lop-sided cut, cleaning off the table to cut, or even cutting myself. When it got here, I could start sewing. Really, really enjoyed that! Haven't ordered a pre-cut kit like that but once, but I sure did enjoy it!
Oh my gosh! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I went to the Hearthside Quilts site and was absolutely blown away! They even have a quilt kit much the same as the one that I wanted from Fons and Porter, that they don't carry any longer - and it was cheaper and could be bought in several different sizes!

:shock:
All their kits are precut - hundreds of them!
I am definitely going to buy a bed size kit from them. It surely will help me so much and alleviate a lot of pain. But small quilts I will probably continue to do on my own.
Thank you everyone for all your help.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 AM

I really liked the kit I got, and the fabric was very good quality... Hope you enjoy your kit as much as I did mine (it's been several years ago and it's already been given away or I'd try to post you a picture)...
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks Donna!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Also my daughter advertised at her local quilt shop this service of cutting out quilts.As she is a stay at home mom trying to make a little extra money My try asking at a quilt guild also if there is some one to cut for you
Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by majormom
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
if the pieces are already cut out for you; and

if you have a very hard time cutting your own; and

if you'll be using expensive material no matter who does the cutting; then

i would consider the extra expense to be worthwhile.

-you won't inflict as much pain and discomfort on yourself (priceless)

-you won't risk wasting fabric by cutting inaccurately (saves what you might have had to spend buying more fabric to recut the wonky pieces.)

-your time is also valuable. ;-)

if it fits into your budget, i'd say go for it. :-)
I guess this whole topic was a waste of time on my part, but thank you everyone for your thoughts. I just went back on the Fons and Porter site and alas! the kit is no longer on it! So I guess I'll be doing all that cutting myself. At least my LQS lady is so very nice and helpful and will help me pick out the fabric so that will be very close to the picture in the magazine. She is so good!
Thank you all!
:-)
Maybe the LQS lady will cut it for you. Even if you offer to pay her to cut it out for you. Just tell her that is hard for you to do yourself. You never know. She might do it as a PIF. Worth asking about at least.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Banned

here is what I would do...ask at the quilt shop if they of someone who would like to make a few extra dollars to help you by cutting the quilt out for you!

then you get to pick the fabric you want, wash it, dry it, iron it, and have a great day visiting with someone while they cut it out for you and you bag and tag the parts!

I do that for a lot of people around here...I charge $5.00 an hour and it is great fun!

have rotary and mat, will travel...