Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PREPARE YOURSELF MENTALLY FOR SEWING! >

PREPARE YOURSELF MENTALLY FOR SEWING!

PREPARE YOURSELF MENTALLY FOR SEWING!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 AM

At first I thought this was really a serious message and my mind went bloodless! If I have to follow those rules to sew---I'm sunk. When I saw the author's name Edie, I wondered what my mother was doing writing this stuff. She doesn't even quilt, what was she doing!! Actually what was I thinking. I'm so glad I'm actually normal. I fought with the idea that I was somehow out there, but now I'm saved from my mind. You all are great! Jammies are great! No lippy stuff :P and no eye- makeup :shock:wonderful. Although, the Fed Ex guy would probably start looking around to make sure there were no cameras recording his startled reaction. I usually make sure some things are in order, but nothing that takes more than 10 minutes!!!!. Of course the sad part about this is that my sewing room sort of suffers. When I clean it up, I can't find anything, so I destroy it looking the item that I knew I had found the perfect place for remembering where it was. Alas, I've sort of run over the 10 mins. so Gotta go. Beth :lol:
Old 01-02-2010, 06:40 AM

I have a wonderful husband who does the dishes,wash,makes beds and runs the sweeper. I am lucky. My usual attire for sewing is my nightgrown,I guess you can say that is close to a dress? I keep my hair short that way you can buff it off,when it is a mess as one of those new wild hair do's lol And does Chap stick count as lipstick? lol That was a good one for going down memory lane . Thanks and keep sewing
Old 01-02-2010, 07:05 AM

I kept up with all I've done this morning before I head to the sewing studio.
Brush teeth, comb hair (I think) clean liter box, empty dishwasher, make bed, straighten bedroom & house, read devotional, started laundry, excerise, took out trash, got dressed (not in order). I am wearing running bra, turtle neck long sleeved, sweat pants that don't match, fleece socks (I made) and hiking boots. NO MAKE UP chapstick and hand lotion only.
Do I meet sewing standards :?: :?: :?:
Old 01-02-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
I kept up with all I've done this morning before I head to the sewing studio.
Brush teeth, comb hair (I think) clean liter box, empty dishwasher, make bed, straighten bedroom & house, read devotional, started laundry, excerise, took out trash, got dressed (not in order). I am wearing running bra, turtle neck long sleeved, sweat pants that don't match, fleece socks (I made) and hiking boots. NO MAKE UP chapstick and hand lotion only.
Do I meet sewing standards :?: :?: :?:
I think you meet the standards just fine!!!!!!!!!! It was the running bra that put you over the top!!!! Edie
Old 01-02-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by erhausfrau
This was taken from the Singer Sewing Machine Manual - 1949

I think this is very, very important for all of us quilters to remember and take this very seriously to heart.

"Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do. Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates. Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do them first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing.

When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on. If you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy sewing as you should."

Happy New Year! Edie
I love it.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
If my husband came home and found me decked out, he would probably hire a PI to see if I'm having an affair.
I'm as attractive as I will ever be.
Sinks are made for dirty dishes.
Thinking about sewing/quilting takes my mind off anything else to do with housework.
No powders in the sewing room and no facial war paint - too hard to wash out.
I have two dogs that bark loudly and deter visitors from coming unannounced.
Husband knows better than to interfere with my sewing enjoyment.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!
lol
Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned

I really do not see what the big deal is here folks.

I always have my cleanest dress on along with all of my makeup and hair done when I sew. And I am even learning to treadle in heels........No need to be shlumpy while we are sewing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 AM

So, so funny! As I sit in my sewing room in my robe, hair sticking straight up, sink is full of dishes, laundry drying, bed unmade, house a wreck, ROFLMBO!! I love to sew, and sew I will.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:19 AM

Karla- your chapstick and hand cream meets the minimum guidelines required as "make up".

Billy- I want lessons on how to sew in heels. And please post your pic while you are in this attire- inquiring minds want to know. :)

times have changed haven't they? I always tell hubby I want to be June Cleaver- finely manicured, heels and pearls. But then, he's no Ward and I'd need to adjust Beaver's attitude daily.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:20 AM

This has been such a fun thread to read. Good thing I am the only one at work this morning....much laughter happening!!! And Billy...yours was just the topper!!!! Thanks.

I often sew in jammies partly because I often get up 1/2 early on work days so I can sew. Amazing how much one can get done in that 1/2 hour!!! And housework? Minimal these days as we are still doing ongoing renovations, so cleaning is sometimes counter-productive.

Patti