Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PREPARE YOURSELF MENTALLY FOR SEWING! >

PREPARE YOURSELF MENTALLY FOR SEWING!

PREPARE YOURSELF MENTALLY FOR SEWING!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Power Poster

"Make yourself attractive as possible"...Well, there's a day's work in itself! I am never "fearful" of visitors, because my slavering beasts would eat them before they reached the front porch. Don't s'pose cut of denims qualify as being "dressed" but these days its cutoffs in summer and jeans in winter. Housework is done as "sewing breaks" allow. I do not exist without eyeliner, but that is an aging goth thing rather than any attempt at glamour.

Bellaboo's Grandma sounds like my kind of woman....I don't have to wield a skillet though...my husband is usually cooking with it!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:14 PM

That is just too cute! I can remember when my mom wore a dress every day. All the ladies did. I think that they called them house dresses. I only wear a dress for church and funerals! I have also been known to sew in my jammies, but am always afraid that someone will come to the door.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:47 PM

I am pretty sure that it is in the constitution that Jammies are required for sewing and most other tasks...especially in the WINTER brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I like to get up, look outside...cold, snow, rain, no reason to go out...shower and put on clean jammies for the day!

Margie :)
Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by erhausfrau
This was taken from the Singer Sewing Machine Manual - 1949

I think this is very, very important for all of us quilters to remember and take this very seriously to heart.

"Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do. Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates. Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do them first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing.

When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on. If you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy sewing as you should."

Happy New Year! Edie
This is so funny! My mom had that Singer Manual, and I know she must have followed every word in it. When she sat down to sew the house was clean, and dinner always ready at 6:00.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
If my husband came home and found me decked out, he would probably hire a PI to see if I'm having an affair.
I'm as attractive as I will ever be.
Sinks are made for dirty dishes.
Thinking about sewing/quilting takes my mind off anything else to do with housework.
No powders in the sewing room and no facial war paint - too hard to wash out.
I have two dogs that bark loudly and deter visitors from coming unannounced.
Husband knows better than to interfere with my sewing enjoyment.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!

What she said!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Power Poster

yeah, as I sit here in clean jammies, there is extras running around the house and they better be okay with me dressed this way and if they are not they are free to find the door and leave, there is an animal or two that would be happy to chew on anyone that isn't welcome,

I do know how to dress like a woman, but around here doesn't require that I do so on a regular basis,

I have three kids and the extras that can and do some of the cleaning and the dishes, though I am with Mad with this,
Old 01-02-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
"Make yourself attractive as possible"...Well, there's a day's work in itself! I am never "fearful" of visitors, because my slavering beasts would eat them before they reached the front porch. Don't s'pose cut of denims qualify as being "dressed" but these days its cutoffs in summer and jeans in winter. Housework is done as "sewing breaks" allow. I do not exist without eyeliner, but that is an aging goth thing rather than any attempt at glamour.

Bellaboo's Grandma sounds like my kind of woman....I don't have to wield a skillet though...my husband is usually cooking with it!
If cutoffs qualify as being dressed in the summer and jeans qualify as being dressed in the winter (of which I have plenty of because that is what I wear in the summer and winter) do flannel lounging pants and a tank top qualify as jammies? It is a forest green tank top and Black Watch plaid pants! I can't stand constriction when I sleep and a tank top is perfect summer or winter and come Spring flannel becomes cotton!!!!!!!

Today I am going to plan my husband's 74th birthday. I make an absolutely fantastic heavy mans cake (chocolate) named after the Kinnikinnic River in Wisconsin.. (Every opening of trout season I would make fried chicken, potato salad and Kinni-Kake for a picnic (husband, son and me)). It has been called Kinni-Kake for over 40 years now(I named it that.) It is made from scratch and is absolutely delicious. If anyone wants the recipe, let me know. I make the cake from scratch but I use a Duncan Hines Choc frosting. Turns out better and less expensive to buy it! I don't know why! Kids are coming over and then I will start cleaning the house up for Spring. (Cotton jams). Then I can get my quilting station up. I can't wait for that. I can't wait to sit and sew for a while. Sew much to do! Edie PS - If anyone in the world is the least bit interested it is 15.7 degrees below zero out my back door! Good Gravy, Marie, it is cold outside. Not a good day to wash the car. We wash the car because of all the salt on the roads to keep them clean and dry.
I think I'll just stay in all day and bake!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dingle
Ummm, I may be in trouble here. I work full time so I really only have the weekends to sew. But before I get started I make sure all the housework is done, laundry done, floors mopped, swept and vacuumed and dishes done. Shower, hair and make-up and dressed is done before I get started sewing. I just can't stand having a messy house. I'm usually going some where on the weekends so I'm ready really early. Having all this done early in the day gives me more time to sew right up until I have to leave. Guess I don't know where my priorities lie huh? :oops:
I'm in the boat with you as I find I can't really concentrate on sewing if I know the housework isn't done. I make too many mistakes, can't focus, can't help myself. Once the dasterdly dead is done, I can focus and sew away :D
Old 01-02-2010, 04:52 AM

Oh NO! I don't own one thing of make-up--never owned a lipstick. Does this mean I can't sew anymore???? :shock:
Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 AM

I do need to have my house some what in order since I sew in my dinning room and it is open to the kitchen, and living room. Since I am so messy at sewing with everything strewn about that it helps if I can at least have the living room picked up and the kitchen some what decent. As far as getting dressed up? Usually some form of comfy clothes, no jamies but definitely not a dress.