Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Preparing for binding >

Preparing for binding

Preparing for binding

Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 AM
nls

I do it the way Tartan does.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:44 AM

After I sewed my binding on and discovered some of the backing didn't catch and/or bunched up, I always stitch around with basting stitch first. I have one machine in a cabinet that I leave my walking foot on all the time and use it any time I sew long strips of fabric.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

I've don't it different ways, stay stitching around the edge of the quilt, or sewing the binding on, then trimming to finish the binding on the other side, usually by hand, but I just did a quilt for our DGD by finishing the binding by sewing it down on the front by machine.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 PM

Sharon does a fantastic job on this video
Old 01-02-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
This is what I'm using as my guide, hopefully I can make the teacher proud of my attempt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE
Sharon's video is fantastic!!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Even though I was using Sharon's video as a guide I still had problems when it came to the joining of the ends. I sewed them wrong 3 times before I went to chat and got some more help. This is the video I was directed to, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUEy9NXOK5c It shows clear and concise up close instructions that I followed easily. Picking out those itty bitty stitches was a pain and I'm glad to report that the binding is on and all that's left is to hand stitch the binding to the back. I've had a lot of fun making this quilt and have learned a huge amount from this board of awesome quilters.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
OK I've got my first ever quilt squared up as best I can and am ready to put the binding on. Should I sew the edge of the quilt down before putting the binding on or leave it loose and sew it with the binding stitch?
If you will press the binding after you get it sewed on, you will be able to tell if you have missed an edge somewhere. It will be easy to correct if you have. Then, press the binding over the edge of your quilt. If you do this pressing, you may not have to use pins or clips while you are doing the hand work. froggyintexas
Old 01-02-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
If you will press the binding after you get it sewed on, you will be able to tell if you have missed an edge somewhere. It will be easy to correct if you have. Then, press the binding over the edge of your quilt. If you do this pressing, you may not have to use pins or clips while you are doing the hand work. froggyintexas
Thank you. I did notice I had 1 spot on 3 sides that didn't catch. They've been fixed now and I've learned I couldn't sew a 1/4" seam if my life depended on it. In pressing the binding over the edge I'm using the glue on method as Sharon showed in the video. I think this will help me keep things straight as I get the binding sewed down.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I like to increase my stitch length and stitch around the quilt edge before adding my binding. It gives me a chance to make sure all the layers are sewing nicely before adding the binding. I do use my walking foot for attaching the binding.

This is a good practice. Not something I always do but something I aspire to each time, anyway. . Doesn't take long and keeps the quilt edge in place for binding.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:49 PM

I do sew around the edge of my quilted quilt about 3/8" from the edge, trim, then put the binding on. There is no wrong way to do it if you are happy with the results. I like the 'insurance' of getting all the layers held together, then adding the binding, but that is just me. You are doing a great job so far.