Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Press after each seam????

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca_S View Post
    Especially when pieces blocks into rows/columns or for blocks with a 9 patch base, I tend to sew as many parallel seams as possible before pressing. However, if the seams cross I press before attaching new pieces.

This is what I do, I finger press until I get to crossed seams and then press everything. I tend to be a chain piecer so I have all my blocks at the same stage so I press everything at the same time.

Blog Entries
    I press each seam also. Keeps things crisp and easier to sew. I had my husband cut me a 16 x 16 inch piece of plywood. I made a little ironing mat that I keep next to my sewing machine. I have a small GE iron I bought at the $ store that I use (NO auto shut off). Works great for me for the smaller pieces. When I get to the larger strips I iron those on the reg. iron board. Works for me.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Power Poster
    Exceptions:

Finger pressing works fairly well until the final pressing on simple blocks such as a 9-patch.

I wait until the block is completed before pressing a complex block that I'm hand-piecing. The probable reason for hand-piecing was to decide how to press the block when it was completed.

I assembly line each step and then iron before the next step. I have a pad and iron on the right of me so I don't have to jump up and down. A iron board can be lowered to sitting height too if you have the room or a a covered tv tray will work in smaller plaes. I have a L shape desk at the moment so I just use that.But pressing really helps me as I go. I have seen people finger press but it just doesn't work well for me.

I'm sure the quilt police will be after me but depending on the pattern I sometimes don't press until time for borders!

Press after each seam...
    Kitty

I brought my tabletop small ironing board to my table by my sewing machine. I have to stand and move to press my seams and that's a good benefit. Keeps me from being in one position too long. I really can see the difference between before quilt when I did it on my own and my after quilt class quilt pieces. Haven't put the quilt together yet, but that's another story.

You can also buy a seam roller. They work well.

Blog Entries
    Oh, this idea of the travel size hair spray spritzer is great! (I also water down my Best Press somewhat.)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    I bought a little travel liquid hair spray spritzer from Sally's Beauty Supply then fill it with 2/3 Best Press & 1/3 water. The little sprayer holds only 3 oz. It doesn't spray all over and waste the Best Press. A little spritz on the seam & press. The seam lays perfectly. Also from what I read here on the forum I am going to use a small stitch length and start pressing most of my seams open. My sister-in-law whose grandmother was a big quilter said that is how her GM always did her quilts.
    Reading, cooking, sewing in retirement! Heaven!
    I'm proud to say that I'm a member of the Quilt A Month Club for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative! www.alzquilts.org
    I have a blog on QB now -- please drop in!

Blog Entries
    I press seams before moving on, but I know there is a famous quilter out there who gives classes, and she does not press seams until the block is finished! A couple of people here have taken her classes and tried the technique, and they say it works fine. Sorry, I just cannot remember the name of this teacher. So far, at least, I have been too chicken to try it.

Also, Jinny Beyer does not press seams until the top is done. However, she is a hand piecer. When she is finished hand piecing a top, she does not bother with how seams lie; she just presses from the top and lets the seams fall where they may. Works for her!

I also press each seam as I go -- but check you are happy with the sewing before you press. The pressing will set the threads more tightly into the fabric and make it harder to unpick if anything is wrong--ask me how I know!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    I chain piece and press after each seam. I also keep my ironing board in another room so that I am forced to get up and move regularly. For someone prone to DVTs like me that is a good thing!
    I think that this idea has merit even though I don't know what DVT is. It does keep a person moving though of course, it isn't as efficient as having the ironing board close by.

When I sew, whether quilting or clothing, I always press each seam.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I usually chain piece the two opposing sides, then press the seam as it lays, then open it and press them. Then I go back and sew the other two opposing sides and then press the seam as it lays again and then open it and press the last two. Goes really fast for me. I wish I could find another place to put my ironing board, but due to lack of room, my ironing is done in my sewing room. I do need the exercise. I have "Quilter's Butt".
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't always press the individual seams. Sometimes I press the block at the end. Recently, I started using a pressing stick (it has a flat side to run over the seam) and that works well for me (better than finger pressing).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2