Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Press after each seam???? >

Press after each seam????

Press after each seam????

Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Press after each seam...
Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 PM

I brought my tabletop small ironing board to my table by my sewing machine. I have to stand and move to press my seams and that's a good benefit. Keeps me from being in one position too long. I really can see the difference between before quilt when I did it on my own and my after quilt class quilt pieces. Haven't put the quilt together yet, but that's another story.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM

You can also buy a seam roller. They work well.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 PM

Oh, this idea of the travel size hair spray spritzer is great! (I also water down my Best Press somewhat.)

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I bought a little travel liquid hair spray spritzer from Sally's Beauty Supply then fill it with 2/3 Best Press & 1/3 water. The little sprayer holds only 3 oz. It doesn't spray all over and waste the Best Press. A little spritz on the seam & press. The seam lays perfectly. Also from what I read here on the forum I am going to use a small stitch length and start pressing most of my seams open. My sister-in-law whose grandmother was a big quilter said that is how her GM always did her quilts.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

I press seams before moving on, but I know there is a famous quilter out there who gives classes, and she does not press seams until the block is finished! A couple of people here have taken her classes and tried the technique, and they say it works fine. Sorry, I just cannot remember the name of this teacher. So far, at least, I have been too chicken to try it.

Also, Jinny Beyer does not press seams until the top is done. However, she is a hand piecer. When she is finished hand piecing a top, she does not bother with how seams lie; she just presses from the top and lets the seams fall where they may. Works for her!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 AM

I also press each seam as I go -- but check you are happy with the sewing before you press. The pressing will set the threads more tightly into the fabric and make it harder to unpick if anything is wrong--ask me how I know!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
I chain piece and press after each seam. I also keep my ironing board in another room so that I am forced to get up and move regularly. For someone prone to DVTs like me that is a good thing!
I think that this idea has merit even though I don't know what DVT is. It does keep a person moving though of course, it isn't as efficient as having the ironing board close by.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 AM

When I sew, whether quilting or clothing, I always press each seam.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I usually chain piece the two opposing sides, then press the seam as it lays, then open it and press them. Then I go back and sew the other two opposing sides and then press the seam as it lays again and then open it and press the last two. Goes really fast for me. I wish I could find another place to put my ironing board, but due to lack of room, my ironing is done in my sewing room. I do need the exercise. I have "Quilter's Butt".
Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

I don't always press the individual seams. Sometimes I press the block at the end. Recently, I started using a pressing stick (it has a flat side to run over the seam) and that works well for me (better than finger pressing).