Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Press after each seam????

Banned

Press after each seam????

I need some reminders, starting first quilt tonight. do I press each seam after stitching before going on? Blocks are a 5 inch square surrounded with 2 1/2 inch strips, 2 5" and 2 10".

I am a big believer in pressing. Why don't you chain stitch the first strip on one side of the 5" square. - do this to all of the 5" squares, then press. Go back and do the next side to all of the squares, go all the way around the squares by chain stitching, press then on to the 2.5" strip, repeat. Pressing is very important to making a squared block. Hope this helps.
    Jody Price

Blog Entries
    You can either press with an iron (press, don't iron) or finger press. Each seam needs to be flat with no tucks and the seam pressed in the direction the pattern indicates or towards the darker fabric.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Banned
    Thanks!!!!!

I chain piece and press after each seam. I also keep my ironing board in another room so that I am forced to get up and move regularly. For someone prone to DVTs like me that is a good thing!

I press after each seam, it keeps everything going straight. It's also a good way to check your work to see if anyting needs to be corrected before going further and having it be a bigger problem to correct.

Banned
    I got out my new Clover pressing tool, and pressed as I sewed. So much fun but so much to learn!

I chain piece a bunch a blocks and press a bunch at each step, goes quicker that way so you are not constantly getting up and down

Power Poster
    It depends if your a chain piecer or a block piecer. I tend to try one whole block of a pattern first to see if the size is right and if I like the colour placement. I tend to finger press as I go if needed and then press the whole block when finished.

I too am a firm believer in pressing with an iron after every seam. Makes for a much nicer finished product.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ditto what those before me have said. I chain piece when possible, 'set' every seam, then press the seams to one side.

best,
    d
    My best is the least I can do.

pressing as you go keeps things more accurate, more square. I am a tad compulsive and will also measure after ironing and then trim as needed. The benefit is a square completed quilt.

I bought a little travel liquid hair spray spritzer from Sally's Beauty Supply then fill it with 2/3 Best Press & 1/3 water. The little sprayer holds only 3 oz. It doesn't spray all over and waste the Best Press. A little spritz on the seam & press. The seam lays perfectly. Also from what I read here on the forum I am going to use a small stitch length and start pressing most of my seams open. My sister-in-law whose grandmother was a big quilter said that is how her GM always did her quilts.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Especially when pieces blocks into rows/columns or for blocks with a 9 patch base, I tend to sew as many parallel seams as possible before pressing. However, if the seams cross I press before attaching new pieces.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    I chain piece and press after each seam. I also keep my ironing board in another room so that I am forced to get up and move regularly. For someone prone to DVTs like me that is a good thing!
    I do the same thing, except my ironing board is in the same room, just not close to the machine. What's DVTs?
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

Banned
    I think DVT's are "Deep Vein Thrombosis ( Blood clots).

Thanks to all of you for your tips and advice!

Blog Entries
    press to set the seam and then press to the dark side or press open depending on result desired

the iron is your friend and greatly improves the accuracy of blocks. pressing is an up and down motion very different than ironing

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy View Post
    I do the same thing, except my ironing board is in the same room, just not close to the machine. What's DVTs?
    My sewing studio is upstairs, I keep the ironing board downstairs, so that I get a little exercise when I sew!

When I press, I finger press first, make sure that the seam is straight, then using steam and Mary Ellen's, I press with no "wiggling". The iron goes down on the seam, but does not scootch back and forth.

I also press after every seam. I've set up an ironing board right next to the sewingtable, so it's just a quick swing, press and carry on. It breaks my enthusiasm for a project if I have to spend a long time sewing at the end - not to mention all the seams that changed direction because they thought they had the right to choose.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I press after each seam, it keeps everything going straight. It's also a good way to check your work to see if anyting needs to be corrected before going further and having it be a bigger problem to correct.
    Ditto. I press after every seam.

I press each seam to side before joining to another peice. Also I press seams "closed/ as sewn" before pressing open. This seems like an added step but it does make seams lie flatter.I have tried not pressing but it seems way harder to press after joining then pressing before joining. Also pressing before joining makes seams/points easier to match

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy View Post
    As other said, it is Deep Vein Thrombosis. My family is prone to them and I have had one pulmonary emboli. Scary stuff. So, it is up and down for me. Keeps the blood moving and helps with my hip and lower back pain.

I do all my chain piecing then take the whole chain to the ironing board and press. I find that it makes a big difference when you press each section before adding on another.

You really need to press every seam. Makes a big difference. I keep a small travel iron and an old wood cutting board covered with batting and fabric right next to my machine so I can sew and press very easily without moving.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyquilts View Post
    I am a big believer in pressing. Why don't you chain stitch the first strip on one side of the 5" square. - do this to all of the 5" squares, then press. Go back and do the next side to all of the squares, go all the way around the squares by chain stitching, press then on to the 2.5" strip, repeat. Pressing is very important to making a squared block. Hope this helps.
    this is the way to go!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast