Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing seams >

Pressing seams

Pressing seams

Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long. I tried setting up a pressing area next to my sewing machine, just didn't work for me.
Ditto!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:14 PM

I bought a portable ironing board that folds. Much better than the large one I have. I love it to death. Has pull-out rack for your iron and it doesn't get hot. This goes anywhere I want without dragging the larger one on having to use someone elses.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 PM

I press as I sew.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 PM

I to have a full size ironingboard set up behind just to mske me...get up and move.....u sit on it to long u spread it lol
Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 PM

I have a rolling cart that I got at Michaels. It's officially scrapbooking storage, but it has 3 drawers plus room for magazines - vertical storage, and then a drop leaf on the top so I can open it up to about 2'by4'/ It is on wheels, so I just pull it up beside me and have my small pressing surface on that. So it's at my left side at right angles to my sewing machine.
I usually chain piece a dozen or so, and then press. I always press one seam before doing the next step.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 PM

I turned a wood tv table into a pressing area it's the right height, sits right beside me and I can fold it up and put it away if I have to.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the headsup...all this getting up and down is a pain in my back...LOL
Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Jim

I sew then press, sew then press, sew then press, LOL
Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 PM

I sew in my dining room turned craft room. It is on the first floor. My iron and board are in the master bedroom on the second floor. I have often thought I really need a second iron and small board on the first floor, but have come to realize that I can piece for a while, then trot upstairs and iron. It keeps me moving! With arthritic old bones I believe it is really good for me to have to run up and down the stairs frequently. It might take a bit of extra time, but I think the trade-off of getting my muscles moving routinely while sitting at my machine is worth it.

I think I am doing my body some good, but some might think I am nuts...
Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 PM

Yes, it definitely would be worth setting up a pressing area next to your machine. I press every seam. Pressing the newly sewn sean "sets" your thread into the fabric and creates a cleaner finish when the piece is opened and again pressed.

I created a pressing surface by using some double folded muslin with a small scrap of leftover cottom batting between it and placed it on a small table to the right of my machine (I'm right handed and it just works out better that way for me.) For larger seams as when I'm putting rows together I might work on several seams then take it to my larger ironing board in the utility room. Give me some walking exercise.