Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
prewash scraps before "stringing"? >

prewash scraps before "stringing"?

prewash scraps before "stringing"?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

I pre-wash all my fabric, but I also pick up some scraps at one guild's free table. I just throw them in the washing machine on gentle cycle. Some fray and get strings wrapped around them, but I just cut off the fraying and throw them in the dryer, or sometimes lay them flat to dry. I press them and store them in plastic shoe boxes until I'm ready to start cutting them to size for the next scrap quilt.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM
IQ2

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
Is there a tute on this? Thanks, I am interested in how it works.
Hi nh--do a search on "receipt" and check out the whole thread entitled "I don't get what the 'reciept' is for when making string quilts". Huntannette has made the most gorgeous quilts using this method and attached pics in that thread. That's what got me interested.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:54 PM
IQ2

Well--I thank you all for your speedy replies. So far the yes--washes are in the majority, but I was very encouraged about the layering and quilting keeping shrinking to a minimum....hmmm....now to decide! Guess I will have to jump in as CK said and just make a block and see.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 PM

I don't see any need to use cash register receipts that are already used. The ink might run, and I bought paper for my adding machine. It came 3 to a package and I haven't even used one in probably 15 years. I am not an accountant, so I don't use the machine very often. My point is the paper is very cheap. It looks like an interesting concept and would make a nice piano key border.
Sue
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
Hi All--I've been following the recent threads about creating string strips using receipt paper. I think it's such a cool idea. I'm ready to start sewing a few mixed scraps onto the receipts, but wondered if they should be washed first, considering that they are all such different fabrics and will probably shrink at different rates once in a string quilt. I don't usually prewash my fabrics, but in this case it seems like it might be in order. I'd appreciate your advice.
i recently completed a scrappy top. all the scraps had been given to me from various people. most had never been washed. was told about color catchers. so i did my blocks, then gently washed them in my top loading washing machine which i had filled w water for "extra large" load. agitated after a small addition of detergent and four or more "color catchers". tjen added the blocks.i was amazed. no bleeding of dark reds and blues etc on to the whites and lights. so then i decided to experiment on some more fabric that i had been gifted...if i ruined it oh well. couple of very dark strong reds, a yellow etc. again...the color catcher sheets were pink and the fabrics were perfect. i am such a fan of color catchers now. i usually do scrap quilts w fabric from all types of sources. i will never again stand and wash each scrap seperately.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:38 AM

I use cheap muslin as the base; it eliminates the need to remove. I never prewash fabrics. I've also made many strip-pieced scrap quilts. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I've never had problems with uneven shrinkage after the quilt is layered, quilted and bound.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 AM
IQ2

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Well, I don't think it's quite that green where you use grocery receipts, you use the 3" roll of receipt paper that goes into the cash register. I'd be worried the ink would come off on the fabric if you used actual receipts.

here's the tutorial

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...er-t56940.html
I've been having trouble finding an office supply store that doesn't sell those 3" thermal rolls by the case. I just want to buy 1 or 2 to start. However, I believe that most receipts are printed on thermal paper and don't use ink...and they're removed from the strip after sewing the quilt, so they won't be washed with it.