Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: prewash scraps before "stringing"?

IQ2

prewash scraps before "stringing"?

Hi All--I've been following the recent threads about creating string strips using receipt paper. I think it's such a cool idea. I'm ready to start sewing a few mixed scraps onto the receipts, but wondered if they should be washed first, considering that they are all such different fabrics and will probably shrink at different rates once in a string quilt. I don't usually prewash my fabrics, but in this case it seems like it might be in order. I'd appreciate your advice.

Blog Entries
    Take about 5 or 6 scraps and throw them in the washer with another load. Once they come out and you press them back into submission, you will have a better idea of whether you would be willing to do that for all your scraps or not.

I usually wash all my fabrics before using them. Sometimes I pick up items at an auction or yard sale and often there are small pieces. I put those in a mesh laundry bag when I wash them. It seems to keep them in better shape than free flowing in the washer. Good luck. I'm curious about this receipt thing and will be looking into it!

Blog Entries
    I just swish them in the sink with hot water and a bit of detergent, then rinse in the sink and spin in a salad spinner. I spread them in a layer on the counter & let them air dry. Then press. Yes, it is a bit of work.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

QM
    I agree with booklady.

Blog Entries
    jump in with your scraps- create a block---wash it & dry it & see if there's a problem---but remember that batting, & quilting will control some of the shrinkage too- i've made lots of string quilts- have never had any shrinkage problems with the finished product- even when some of the fabrics were prewashed & some were not. i mix them up all the time- if mixing flannels/home spuns in that have a looser weave & tend to shrink more i'd be sure to wash them- but any others i wouldn't bother.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    jump in with your scraps- create a block---wash it & dry it & see if there's a problem---but remember that batting, & quilting will control some of the shrinkage too- i've made lots of string quilts- have never had any shrinkage problems with the finished product- even when some of the fabrics were prewashed & some were not. i mix them up all the time- if mixing flannels/home spuns in that have a looser weave & tend to shrink more i'd be sure to wash them- but any others i wouldn't bother.
    I do just like you, use them both ways for string quilts, but I do not mix flannels or home spuns. I use just the normal cotton quilting material,(however, I have on occasion used some fabric that was not 100% cotton and it didn't matter) and some of it has been washed some of it not. If is going in to a string quilt I don't care and so far I've been happy with how they have turned out.

Blog Entries
    This is what I do, i lay them to dry on my cake drying racks, and broiler trays.

I am interested in learning more about "receipts", great idea to be green while paper piecing.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I just swish them in the sink with hot water and a bit of detergent, then rinse in the sink and spin in a salad spinner. I spread them in a layer on the counter & let them air dry. Then press. Yes, it is a bit of work.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    Is there a tute on this? Thanks, I am interested in how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
    Hi All--I've been following the recent threads about creating string strips using receipt paper. I think it's such a cool idea. I'm ready to start sewing a few mixed scraps onto the receipts, but wondered if they should be washed first, considering that they are all such different fabrics and will probably shrink at different rates once in a string quilt. I don't usually prewash my fabrics, but in this case it seems like it might be in order. I'd appreciate your advice.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    This is what I do, i lay them to dry on my cake drying racks, and broiler trays.

I am interested in learning more about "receipts", great idea to be green while paper piecing.
    Well, I don't think it's quite that green where you use grocery receipts, you use the 3" roll of receipt paper that goes into the cash register. I'd be worried the ink would come off on the fabric if you used actual receipts.

here's the tutorial

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...er-t56940.html
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 01-25-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I pre-wash all my fabric, but I also pick up some scraps at one guild's free table. I just throw them in the washing machine on gentle cycle. Some fray and get strings wrapped around them, but I just cut off the fraying and throw them in the dryer, or sometimes lay them flat to dry. I press them and store them in plastic shoe boxes until I'm ready to start cutting them to size for the next scrap quilt.

IQ2
    Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    Is there a tute on this? Thanks, I am interested in how it works.
    Hi nh--do a search on "receipt" and check out the whole thread entitled "I don't get what the 'reciept' is for when making string quilts". Huntannette has made the most gorgeous quilts using this method and attached pics in that thread. That's what got me interested.

IQ2
    Well--I thank you all for your speedy replies. So far the yes--washes are in the majority, but I was very encouraged about the layering and quilting keeping shrinking to a minimum....hmmm....now to decide! Guess I will have to jump in as CK said and just make a block and see.

I don't see any need to use cash register receipts that are already used. The ink might run, and I bought paper for my adding machine. It came 3 to a package and I haven't even used one in probably 15 years. I am not an accountant, so I don't use the machine very often. My point is the paper is very cheap. It looks like an interesting concept and would make a nice piano key border.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
    i recently completed a scrappy top. all the scraps had been given to me from various people. most had never been washed. was told about color catchers. so i did my blocks, then gently washed them in my top loading washing machine which i had filled w water for "extra large" load. agitated after a small addition of detergent and four or more "color catchers". tjen added the blocks.i was amazed. no bleeding of dark reds and blues etc on to the whites and lights. so then i decided to experiment on some more fabric that i had been gifted...if i ruined it oh well. couple of very dark strong reds, a yellow etc. again...the color catcher sheets were pink and the fabrics were perfect. i am such a fan of color catchers now. i usually do scrap quilts w fabric from all types of sources. i will never again stand and wash each scrap seperately.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I use cheap muslin as the base; it eliminates the need to remove. I never prewash fabrics. I've also made many strip-pieced scrap quilts. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I've never had problems with uneven shrinkage after the quilt is layered, quilted and bound.
    Laurie in NYC

IQ2
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Well, I don't think it's quite that green where you use grocery receipts, you use the 3" roll of receipt paper that goes into the cash register. I'd be worried the ink would come off on the fabric if you used actual receipts.

here's the tutorial

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...er-t56940.html
    I've been having trouble finding an office supply store that doesn't sell those 3" thermal rolls by the case. I just want to buy 1 or 2 to start. However, I believe that most receipts are printed on thermal paper and don't use ink...and they're removed from the strip after sewing the quilt, so they won't be washed with it.