Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Price for Craft Show Booth??? >

Price for Craft Show Booth???

Price for Craft Show Booth???

Old 08-14-2011, 03:28 PM

do you live in a state where you need a vendor license? Check with your town administration office. I need one here in NY. It's free of charge, and you have to file quarterly taxes on sales. Would NOT want to do a show and get caught without one....happened to my show 'neighbor' - got hit with a hefty fine!!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 PM

If you have never done a craft show it is a long day and a lot of work. Make sure they advertise if well and see if you can find out how much traffic they usually have. Also see if they have other booths with your same crafts. You will need someone to give you potty breaks etc. My sister and I used to do them together. It was fun with her.
Good luck
Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 PM

I just paid 30 for a 10x10 a outside sale, at a church
Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM

:thumbdown: try to share a booth with someone else... :thumbup:
Old 08-16-2011, 08:43 AM

In Oklahoma, the person (group) putting on the Craft Show is required to purchase a $50 permit from the State. Then they MUST see that everyone registered as a vendor either pays them sales tax at the end of the show to them to be forwarded to the state, or they submit their Tax ID number to be sent in.

I'm responsible for our local community craft show each fall, and this part of it is a hassle, but it's required. I've had them call me from the Tax Commission Office to see when our show is and even have a field rep show up to make sure we are handling it properly. It irks me that I pay them $50 to do their work. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to buy the permit which comes out of the profit for the Community Action Agency that is sponsoring the show.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo
Originally Posted by ptquilts
just a note on craft shows - if someone comes around while you are selling at a show and hands you a flyer about THEIR show coming up - I would stay away. IMO when they have to solicit crafters to fill their show, that means they do not have crafters coming back year after year, in other words, a dud.

A successful show does not have to go actively looking for crafters.

$50 sounds reasonable if they get a lot of people, and you have small items that you think will sell reasonably well. Think of it as a learning experience. Good luck!
Re: soliciting for a show. Maybe your products are different enough that they'd give another dimension to the show--not the same old same old. Or the show is only a couple of years old and they're trying to expand it. It wouldn't hurt to get in on the ground floor.
I do shows year round...and have done them for many years...
I do shows with promoters, too...1 of the promoters goes around to most of the other shows to hand out flyers to the crafters that she has in her shows, to answer questions, and to see if there is a crafter that would fit into her shows. She is very paticular about the quality of work in her shows, and if it isn't handcrafted by you...you are not in her show.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:46 AM

Very interesting thread. Thanks for the information everyone.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:24 AM

We have shows here that want $200-$300 for a two day booth! It's no wonder why the wares are so highly priced at these shows! I do see people carrying things away though and the vendors return year after year!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:23 AM

I don't think that is bad at all....probably depends on the area you are in and how successful their craft shows usually are....
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 AM
Ed

The price sounds good to us. We set up at some quilt shows. We try to setup in the same spot. Your customers get to know where you are, and look for you in the same place year after year. As for tables, we take our tables to save the cost. We have the tables so we use them year after year – a little hassle but it save us money.