Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Price of Quilting Gadgets >

Price of Quilting Gadgets

Price of Quilting Gadgets

Old 08-26-2017, 10:46 AM

Sorry to heat about your accident, HettyB. I did that in college with an xacto blade about 30 years ago. It takes years for the fingerprint to grow back but the feeling does return after a while. Although I can still feel and see the indentation. I'm religious about my Klutz glove, thanks for the suggestion to look in the tile department. I'll give that a try also.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Not notions/ tools, but I while looking at men's shirts at Goodwill that Men's 100% cotton shirts cost more than blends!
Old 08-26-2017, 06:15 PM

Thanks HettyB for the tip. I've been looking for suction grips, so I will check out your suggestions!!
Old 08-26-2017, 06:45 PM

Although I don't use those suction grip thingys, I have tried them, picked one up at a yard sale a few years ago, for a $1.00, sent it to a quilting friend, picked up another at a yard sale fairly recently, still don't like them but will save it for someone else.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:44 AM

Sorry about your accident. I use a Quilter's Slidelock ruler all the time. it was expensive, but worth every penny to me. I asked for it for a Christmas gift. Put things like that on your family's wish list. They'll be happy to be buying you something you really want and need.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

Slidelock fan here too. The cost meant nothing to me when I had a cut, not a bad one, but it still hurt. I would have given the money right then to anyone that could have stopped the pain and misery of it. Most give it to the ER. I bought the Slidelock, cut glove and the small round suction by Gypsy Gripper for small rulers and templates. It's a rule for me not to cut without a safety tool and one rule I do not break.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:51 AM

I used one of my old bladed rotary cutters easpeially saved for paper a couple weeks ago. I wont do that again! The piece of rust that had formed made the rotary go off track from the ruler and into my hand. I was afraid to look and my
other half saw the whole thing...it wasn't too bad but I pitched that baby as soon as the blood was mopped up!!!
Old 08-27-2017, 06:28 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope it heals ok. I cut my finger tip many years ago with a knife all the way down to the bone. It was also numb. Over a period of years the feeling slowly came back. Hope yours does too.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I do not think we are being "ripped off" by the price of quilting gadgets. How many rulers do you think Ace hardware sells? They have to be in the hundreds of thousands of units. How many rulers do you think Eleanor Burns sells? Less than a thousand? Ace and Harbor freight buy goods from China by the Shipping container. Their shipping costs per ruler are miniscule compared to what Eleanor Burns pays for shipping cost per ruler.
bkay
More........Please read the entire contents above by bkay....................

Thank you bkay for your clear and concise comment. I would rather pay whatever the cost is in a quilt store. I do not purchase from JoAnn (unless it is zippers, etc. that quilt stores don't carry) or Walmart. The reason we are losing quilt shops is because too many quilters buy on line. (I understand people that are so far from these type stores they must depend on the internet).

Another of my comments is; people that do not enter their quilts in their local quilt shows. In the Denver area we have lost 5 quilt shows in the last 4+/- years. Why? Not enough entries. Quilters all like to go and look at others quilts but do not want to show their own. They do not have a problem showing their quilts at their local guild so I do not understand the reluctance to enter them in a quilt show. Ok I'm a little "off topic" so I'm done for now..... :-). Ellen
Old 08-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
More........Please read the entire contents above by bkay....................

Thank you bkay for your clear and concise comment. I would rather pay whatever the cost is in a quilt store. I do not purchase from JoAnn (unless it is zippers, etc. that quilt stores don't carry) or Walmart. The reason we are losing quilt shops is because too many quilters buy on line. (I understand people that are so far from these type stores they must depend on the internet).

Another of my comments is; people that do not enter their quilts in their local quilt shows. In the Denver area we have lost 5 quilt shows in the last 4+/- years. Why? Not enough entries. Quilters all like to go and look at others quilts but do not want to show their own. They do not have a problem showing their quilts at their local guild so I do not understand the reluctance to enter them in a quilt show. Ok I'm a little "off topic" so I'm done for now..... :-). Ellen

I agree about quilt show entries. It doesn't matter if your border is wavy, or some seams don't match. I deliberately enter a few quilts in our shows that would make the quilt police faint but I do it to show others if that quilt can be shown then what they have can't possibly any worse. LOL