Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Price of Quilting Gadgets

Price of Quilting Gadgets

Earlier this year (after years of sewing and crafting) I had an accident with a rotary cutter that resulted in a trip to A&E, stitches and now a permanently numb fingertip.

As a result, I bought a double suction ruler grip (13.99) and a small single gripper (8).

Recently, I found, in the local DIY/Hardware shop, tools that do the very same thing, that are not only stronger but MUCH cheaper in the glazing and tiling section. I bought a single suction grip for 5 and a double for 6.99.

Before buying any new gadget, I will look at my local DIY or model railway shop first!

HettyB

Blog Entries
    That is why Harbor Freight Store is often recommended here on the board for its tools and gadgets.

I have long had the feeling that quilting notions/tools are overpriced. I believe they know that we quilters will pay the price. It is great that we have the talent to find other options. After all quilting came from using scraps/used clothing in the day and not to throw away anything (like we do today).

Quote Originally Posted by sahansen44 View Post
    I have long had the feeling that quilting notions/tools are overpriced. I believe they know that we quilters will pay the price. It is great that we have the talent to find other options. After all quilting came from using scraps/used clothing in the day and not to throw away anything (like we do today).
    I have long said the quilters are being ripped off, especially after I found Harbor Freight. The quilter's notions are pretty colors but sometimes not made as well and always more expensive. I'm willing to forgo the colors for the savings.

I recently found a bolt (20 yds) of Wonder Under 805 for my applique, and a package of 5 cutting blades by going through Walmart.com. The Wonder Under works out to 97 cents a yard, and the blades are $2.72 each. Since Jim works at Walmart, he gets a discount. I had paid $3.99 a yard at a store in town. I would love to know how much I could have saved if I had known this a few years ago.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Power Poster
    It does seem that when "for quilting" is added to the label of some things, the price goes up drastically.

Amazon and ebay have good blade prices, but name brand rulers are the same price as other sites. I haven't checked my LQS for the ruler I want. I will, because I try to support them if I can. We have a Harbor Freight now. I'll check on the suction holder. Thank you for the reminder.

Thank you for the reminder - I will be stopping by Harbor Freight for both the single and dual suction grips! I've had a few near misses already and do not want to take a trip to the ER!

I love this forum and all the folks in it for sharing the smart and cost effective ways to safely enjoy our craft

Christine
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Sorry about your accident. No one cuts fabric in my house without a safety device. I use the Quilter's Slidelock or the cut resistant glove. At our guild it is a hard no tolerance rule no one cuts without a safety tool. Why take the chance of getting cut. Everyone I know that has had a nasty accident has said I"m always careful and pay attention. Some like a foot cut with a dropped cutter may be prevented by wearing shoes not flip flops. Not anyone that works with sharp tools in a shop will not allow sandals or without using a safety device but since it's quilting it's okay?

By what you can afford for safety, not because it's the cheapest.

I do not think we are being "ripped off" by the price of quilting gadgets. How many rulers do you think Ace hardware sells? They have to be in the hundreds of thousands of units. How many rulers do you think Eleanor Burns sells? Less than a thousand? Ace and Harbor freight buy goods from China by the Shipping container. Their shipping costs per ruler are miniscule compared to what Eleanor Burns pays for shipping cost per ruler.

It's a matter of scale. How many more people will buy a suction cup from Ace than from Eleanor Burns or Marti Mitchell, or Kaye Woods or any of the others? There are a lot more tile workers and DIY homeowners than there are quilters.

I happen to have a 6 1/5 inch square up ruler by Marti Mitchell that I love. I use it all the time. It's $12.30 on Amazon. (I bought it at an estate sale.) It's a pretty high priced piece of plastic. But how many people need a ruler like this? I would think no one, unless you are a quilter - and there aren't that many of us quilters out there.

In the conclusion to my soap box rant, I encourage everyone to buy their quilting gadgets where ever they are the least expensive and share that with everyone. However, we need to understand that no one cannot manufacture and ship a specialty product for the same amount of money they can manufacture a mass merchandise product.

bkay

Sorry to heat about your accident, HettyB. I did that in college with an xacto blade about 30 years ago. It takes years for the fingerprint to grow back but the feeling does return after a while. Although I can still feel and see the indentation. I'm religious about my Klutz glove, thanks for the suggestion to look in the tile department. I'll give that a try also.

Not notions/ tools, but I while looking at men's shirts at Goodwill that Men's 100% cotton shirts cost more than blends!

Thanks HettyB for the tip. I've been looking for suction grips, so I will check out your suggestions!!

Although I don't use those suction grip thingys, I have tried them, picked one up at a yard sale a few years ago, for a $1.00, sent it to a quilting friend, picked up another at a yard sale fairly recently, still don't like them but will save it for someone else.

Sorry about your accident. I use a Quilter's Slidelock ruler all the time. it was expensive, but worth every penny to me. I asked for it for a Christmas gift. Put things like that on your family's wish list. They'll be happy to be buying you something you really want and need.

Slidelock fan here too. The cost meant nothing to me when I had a cut, not a bad one, but it still hurt. I would have given the money right then to anyone that could have stopped the pain and misery of it. Most give it to the ER. I bought the Slidelock, cut glove and the small round suction by Gypsy Gripper for small rulers and templates. It's a rule for me not to cut without a safety tool and one rule I do not break.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I used one of my old bladed rotary cutters easpeially saved for paper a couple weeks ago. I wont do that again! The piece of rust that had formed made the rotary go off track from the ruler and into my hand. I was afraid to look and my
    other half saw the whole thing...it wasn't too bad but I pitched that baby as soon as the blood was mopped up!!!

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope it heals ok. I cut my finger tip many years ago with a knife all the way down to the bone. It was also numb. Over a period of years the feeling slowly came back. Hope yours does too.

Quote Originally Posted by bkay View Post
    I do not think we are being "ripped off" by the price of quilting gadgets. How many rulers do you think Ace hardware sells? They have to be in the hundreds of thousands of units. How many rulers do you think Eleanor Burns sells? Less than a thousand? Ace and Harbor freight buy goods from China by the Shipping container. Their shipping costs per ruler are miniscule compared to what Eleanor Burns pays for shipping cost per ruler.
    bkay
    More........Please read the entire contents above by bkay....................

Thank you bkay for your clear and concise comment. I would rather pay whatever the cost is in a quilt store. I do not purchase from JoAnn (unless it is zippers, etc. that quilt stores don't carry) or Walmart. The reason we are losing quilt shops is because too many quilters buy on line. (I understand people that are so far from these type stores they must depend on the internet).

Another of my comments is; people that do not enter their quilts in their local quilt shows. In the Denver area we have lost 5 quilt shows in the last 4+/- years. Why? Not enough entries. Quilters all like to go and look at others quilts but do not want to show their own. They do not have a problem showing their quilts at their local guild so I do not understand the reluctance to enter them in a quilt show. Ok I'm a little "off topic" so I'm done for now..... :-). Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
    More........Please read the entire contents above by bkay....................

Thank you bkay for your clear and concise comment. I would rather pay whatever the cost is in a quilt store. I do not purchase from JoAnn (unless it is zippers, etc. that quilt stores don't carry) or Walmart. The reason we are losing quilt shops is because too many quilters buy on line. (I understand people that are so far from these type stores they must depend on the internet).

Another of my comments is; people that do not enter their quilts in their local quilt shows. In the Denver area we have lost 5 quilt shows in the last 4+/- years. Why? Not enough entries. Quilters all like to go and look at others quilts but do not want to show their own. They do not have a problem showing their quilts at their local guild so I do not understand the reluctance to enter them in a quilt show. Ok I'm a little "off topic" so I'm done for now..... :-). Ellen

I agree about quilt show entries. It doesn't matter if your border is wavy, or some seams don't match. I deliberately enter a few quilts in our shows that would make the quilt police faint but I do it to show others if that quilt can be shown then what they have can't possibly any worse. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I agree about quilt show entries. It doesn't matter if your border is wavy, or some seams don't match. I deliberately enter a few quilts in our shows that would make the quilt police faint but I do it to show others if that quilt can be shown then what they have can't possibly any worse. LOL
    Haha. I am the "Quilt Police".....hahaha. AND I love your attitude about showing something you know is not perfect. I rarely see a "perfect" quilt. Most of the time people "think-like" theirs will be the only quilt in the show. They don't stop to think about the other quilts entered. You never know what your competition will be, because of that, you may be the first place quilt. :-). Ellen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahansen44 View Post
    I found out quite by accident that the self healing mats that we use to quilt, are the exact same thing sold to draftsmen. The only difference is the cost more than doubles if you put the word quilt on it.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I appreciated the comments about quilt entries in Colorado shows. I went to one last week at the Events Center in Loveland. Very disappointing-nothing like past years. Even the venders area was full of booths that had nothing to do with quilting and sewing. Some were very 'pushy'. I won't pay $10 to go again.

Ouch, sorry for what happened to you!
    I bought one of those things you attach to the ruler from a quilt shop but I hate it. It's so big that it hides what I need to see. Sorry I bought it.

I purchase my fabrics and notions where I can get the best quality for the prices I can afford. I save coupons and I buy only what I need for my current project. It's a matter of practicalities. I recently visited a LQS here in the city closest to where I live. There was nothing in the store priced at less than $12.99 a yard, that was the "lowest price" in the entire store. For anyone who can afford that and that's what they want, great! But it's beyond what I can afford.