Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pricing >

Pricing

Pricing

Old 01-13-2019, 05:12 AM

Longarmmers around here charge per inch. Amish who hand quilt charge per number of spools of thread used.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:51 AM

I charge by the sq in. I also have a minimum of
$40. Baby quilts or table runners won't make the minimum and it takes time to load and change thread, etc even if it is small. I haven't had any complaints. I only do pantos and very little custom (like only one per year). I figure I make about $20 per hour.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Longarmmers around here charge per inch. Amish who hand quilt charge per number of spools of thread used.
That's what I'm used to, as well. Also a $40 minimum as someone else mentioned.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Does this mean you find by-the-inch quilting to be not honest? And if so, why? Just curious about your thought process, not trying to pick nits. .
I don't think that was meant at all. I think she meant "another" way of doing honest business.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I don't think that was meant at all. I think she meant "another" way of doing honest business.
I interpreted this to mean that there was some flexibility to the price reflecting actual time involved but putting a maximum possible cost on it for the customer. I would think this is very similar to how a household contractor figures/quotes. And it is (another) fair way to do business IMHO.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:34 AM

My two long arm quilters that I use charge by the inch. I honestly don't think I would pay a longarmer to do a quilt for me and pay them by the hour. Nothing against your way of charging but just my personal opinion and please don't feel offended.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:10 AM

I think by the square inch is fair to the quilter and the customer, and it's verifiable, which is always a plus. It does make sense to charge a higher price per square inch if there is anything more complicated or if the quilting is going to be more closely spaced. You could easily take twice as much time and use twice as much thread for some styles vs. others. I think most customers could understand that and not have a problem with it.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by twinsister2 View Post
I charge per hour to quilt, but want to know how and what others decide for their prices.... per hour or square inch?
I've only ever paid by the square inch, and it runs me about 2¢ to 2.5¢ for that sq inch.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:46 PM

I had a Longarmer tell me she charged $35.00 an hour minimum 10 hours. Then there were thread costs on top of that. Too rich more my blood. Another shop charges base on what you want done and how intricate the design is. Since I put a lot of embroidery in my quilts I can't always have the computerized process done. So I went to the second shop where it was all done for at $300.00. Except I did the binding (I really like that part). And based on many of the problems I have read about in the past here, I did the trimming too.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:33 PM

I've only used the local quilt shops for longarming, it seems the going rate is 2 cents per inch. One shop charges extra for thread, the other doesn't. Neither one includes trimming or binding.

I would not be comfortable paying someone by the hour to quilt for me. I hate not knowing what something is going to cost.

I've heard stories of quilters charging some really reasonable prices, but either they are too busy, do not return my calls or are no longer quilting. So, I pay 2 cents per inch.

That said, the closest quilt shop (one of the above) rents time. You have to take a class that is $150.00, I think. It is a one on one class, though.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 01-14-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: mistake