Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Age" Related Slump (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22age%22-related-slump-t124928.html)

Landers 05-24-2011 09:57 AM

I am so sorry that you are in a slump. I just finished a "unfinished left-behind" quilt for my mother. It was an unfinished project from one of my mother's friends's mom. She had tried to make it the last one to finish before she passed to HOME! Her daughter said she always knew that she would have a UFO project but she atill always started a new one. I was very proud to complete that hand-sewn quilt for her. When this Mom passed on Home, she was 98 years old!!

Keep starting a project going. Keep buying your fabric! Someone will be proud to finish your project or use your beautiful fabric with YOU in their thoughts!!!

Anne T 05-24-2011 10:07 AM

Hi, I am 82 and feel that age is just a number. Natural to have a slump, just need to try something new to jazz yourself up. I also have many medical problems and use my down time reading posts and checking for new projects. I bought a used Bernina last year, because i always wanted one, and decided not to waiste any more time. I am planning to stick around till I'm 100.:)

Mom of eight 05-24-2011 10:30 AM

I am going to be 71 next month I am going to follow my Aunts motto who will be 100 tomorrow never give up and keep moving everyday I had heart surgery last year did not know what the future had for me then but guess what I sew and embroider everyday I have a room full of fabric and love every minute of it

Jingle 05-24-2011 10:54 AM

I will be 66 in June and just keep going, if the Grim Reaper wants me he will have to chase me down. I made 23 quilts this past year and gave most of them away.

quiltsRfun 05-24-2011 11:02 AM

My mother told me she wants to plant a tree in the yard. She wants one that will shade the window but not one that gets too tall. She just turned 89. I hope I have that attitude at her age.

As others have said, we never know what tomorrow will bring. If it makes you happy to plan or start new projects, go ahead and do it. Does anyone ever get everything done before the end? And if they do, what then? Just sit around with your arms folded and wait? No way. Just keep going. It's when we give up that we're in trouble.

Floralfab 05-24-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
I have been reading the posts from quilters going through a slump. I am 72 years old and and experiencing insecure thoughts such as "why buy any more fabric", and "why start on a new project". I am losing my enthusiam because my age does not warrant a lot of time for the projects I have always wanted to do. Would the upper-age group quilters share their thoughts on this problem I am having.

I'm 75 and am still quilting. I don't buy as much fabric as I used to anymore but I have a good size stash to work from. I went thru a slump last summer, couldn't quilt and thought of giving my stash away. Good thing I didn't cause I would have had to go out and buy all new!!! I make blankets for Project Linus and make crochet blankets for them too. It is something to look forward to and keeps me busy and my mind off sad things. Check your area and see if there is a need for charity quilts. When I give them away it makes my heart smile. Don't get me wrong now, I'm not the speedy quilter I once was but I still keep at it and you can too!!

Anna.425 05-24-2011 06:08 PM

My dad is 80 and just started a brand new job, just for the fun of it. Go for it, quilt up a storm!

ns 05-25-2011 08:02 AM

No one knows their time,only the good Lord. So I say quilt while you are able and unfinished projects will be left for someone else to do.

ging10ging 05-25-2011 02:37 PM

I hope your feeling a little better and at your sewing machine. Just keep telling yourself you feel better. That's what I have to do with myself have a chat with yourself. you still have lots of great quilts to make. Sue.

dgrindey 05-25-2011 05:37 PM

Marcy, my dear, my mother died at 88 and she was quilting up to that time. I have 6 quilt tops of hers and now I have to finish them and I am enjoying that because I can feel my mom next to me. I am 71 and there is nothing that is going to stop me from living my life. I am very much like my mom who was always on the go. It doesn't matter if you die at 75 or 100---look at the legacy you are leaving. How wonderful! My sister is 16 months younger than I and she has no hobbies, sits at home most of the time and is wasting her life away. She always tells me I am like mom and I've told her to keep moving. Anyway, Marcy, just keep going, dear. It is really worth it. Post the next quilt you make.
Donna G