Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The "worthy," why are we so hard on them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22worthy-%22-why-we-so-hard-them-t85641.html)

joan_quilts 12-27-2010 09:37 PM

For me, sometimes I will just make a quilt. I don't know who it is for.

I have made quilts and given them to the elderly people in my area, or made a baby quilts and someone I know becomes pregnant and I give them the quilt.

Now, if someone asks for a quilt, or hints they would like something homemade, I do tend to find out what their colors are or what room they will put it in so I can match somewhat of the decore.

I don't like making quilts and they not get used. I like to quilt, and I like to give. I try very hard to give a gift I know will be used.

If I know someone is not going to use something I make, I won't give it to them. That is common sense. But, I hope that I am always a giver of my work and can only hope the person that gets it appreciates it.

I love homemade gifts. I don't think I could ever be unhappy with a gift. That is just me and I like me! LOL

alimaui 12-27-2010 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
I think the gift is the time and effort that goes into a handmade item. It's three minutes to click and buy something online for someone, and four hours to make a purse. Either item might be a mistake in style, color, etc., but knowing someone took the time to do something special they thought I would like is worth the gratitude.

(Playing devil's advocate here--yes, I make things for people, and am just as dissapointed as everyone else when they are not appreciated, but in the recipients mind...)

Yes, thank you so much for this quilt, that i think has the ugliest brown fabric in the world. I don't want to look at it, it clashes with mycurtains, and oh yea it has golf balls on it, but I appreciate that you spent hours working on something I will never ever want to look at again. Are you going to ask me in a year if I still like it?

JulieR 12-27-2010 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by alimaui
(Playing devil's advocate here--yes, I make things for people, and am just as dissapointed as everyone else when they are not appreciated, but in the recipients mind...)

Yes, thank you so much for this quilt, that i think has the ugliest brown fabric in the world. I don't want to look at it, it clashes with mycurtains, and oh yea it has golf balls on it, but I appreciate that you spent hours working on something I will never ever want to look at again. Are you going to ask me in a year if I still like it?

Nah, I'm a "give and let live" kind of girl. I would hope when I asked you next year you'd be more specific about your gift list, though. LOL

I do always indicate when I give any gift that if they don't like it, I'll replace it. When I give a handmade gift I include in that offer where I'd like the item to go if it doesn't suit them, in part so they know I'm serious.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-27-2010 09:48 PM

Ugly brown fabric with golf balls........... hahahahahaah :D
You are a hoot!

jemma 12-27-2010 09:51 PM

recieving is more of a challange to character than giving ---when someone reaches out to you with a gift accept the love first then the gift should realy not matter---thank you is very easy to say-- i got a pet rock for xmas the love + the pride shining from my gransons eyes is making me tear up as i write this --what a special gift i got

pam1966 12-27-2010 09:57 PM

I see all points of view here....all I can add is that ultimately it depends on the person you want to give the gift of a quilt to. I am just as guilty as the next quilter who would appreciate "oohs" and "ahs". But I'm learning that's not always going to happen. Such is life!

Candace 12-27-2010 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by alimaui

Originally Posted by JulieR
I think the gift is the time and effort that goes into a handmade item. It's three minutes to click and buy something online for someone, and four hours to make a purse. Either item might be a mistake in style, color, etc., but knowing someone took the time to do something special they thought I would like is worth the gratitude.

I think we're kindred spirits.

mom-6 12-27-2010 10:12 PM

A couple years ago I was treated to a number of handmade gifts that were really thoughtful and nicely done, just not 'me'. However I'm not about to tell the little sweethearts that made the duct tape coasters and the slit leather drink holder that I have no use for them!

Willa 12-27-2010 10:22 PM

I agree with Alimaui.

Magdalena 12-27-2010 11:12 PM

A few years ago, I was given 6x6 fabric squares. I was not enthused with the pattern or colors. But, I was thankful and put them away. About six months ago, My DD and I were going through some of my things and found the patches. She absolutely loved them. Hmmm, what am I missing here? I realized that they were given to me by someone we both love and those patches represented her. So, I gave my DD a couple of them and I am now in the process of creating a quilt with those patches - I love them, now. I believe time will tell. Quilt what you want with your heart's content. Give it freely and pray it will be used or preserved wisely.