Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The "worthy," why are we so hard on them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22worthy-%22-why-we-so-hard-them-t85641.html)

Momof3Es 12-27-2010 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
My Mom is the only one who ever made me quilted items and she is gone now, so I would be thrilled for someone to give me one. Even if it weren't my favorite colors/pattern I would be still be thrilled to know someone cared enough about me to make and give me a quilted item.

I recently won a quilt in a raffle. It's a crazy quilt which I'm still not sure if I'm crazy about. But when they called my name that I had won it I got choked up and I don't even know the people that made it!! I think a quilt in the right persons eyes is like getting a big hug every time you cover with it. IMHO

Nanamoms 12-28-2010 12:21 AM

Just my two cents but I would just have to thank anyone who made a special gift for me. Over the years, I've received handmade gifts that I think "what in the world am I going to do with this". I made a special place in my sewing room/office for these "love gifts"!

AnnieH 12-28-2010 01:03 AM

Life's too short. Make and give. Receive with grace and love.
Annie

sheron 12-28-2010 01:37 AM

People better get back to appreciating the homemade gifts, the time may come that will be all someone can do.
I love homemade gifts that means that person took time out of their busy lifes to think about me..

ckcowl 12-28-2010 02:20 AM

boy, i TOTALLY AGREE! and to add just a little more...
when i give a loved one a quilt and visit...if i see the kids used their quilts to make a fort (they love making forts...and what ever blanket they can get their hands on works) i was not upset...i helped. sometimes reading peoples posts here really makes me wonder...
what did you make the quilt for? you give it to someone and if they use it...you are mad...it will show signs of being used...heaven forbid...
if they do not use it, but pack it away in a box or chest never (well maybe once in awhile) to be seen again...you are mad...geeze....
if anyone in my family was regularly reading on here they would be so .... confused.... what are we to do with the quilts you give us?
I SAY USE THEM...HOW EVER YOU WANT...IT IS YOURS NOW...
and, if it wears out...YEA! NOW I HAVE REASON TO MAKE YOU ANOTHER ONE! and i've made lots of purses...i make them, i show them to people i (thought) i would give them too.... if i show one and hear...WOW, HOW COOL IS THAT...I LOVE IT...well, that person gets the purse...if the response is more along the line of...OK...nice i guess...do you carry that? well, i know she wasn't as (taken) with it as i am...i don't waste her time with it.
people sometimes seem to put a little too much expectation on others...
if you make quilts you want to give away, but do not want used...tell the person you are giving it to...put it away, and 'show it' once in awhile...if you make a quilt you do want used...tell them when it is worn out you will make another one...then don't get all....indignant when you visit and it is being used...it's not yours any more...your part is over MOVE ON

loopywren 12-28-2010 02:26 AM

I am the kind of person who never seems pleased with gifts but those who give me gifts know me well, and realise I get overwhelmed by kindness and am trying not to cry and don't know what to say. It is not because I don't like the gifts given me the exact opposite.

lisalovesquilting 12-28-2010 03:23 AM

I make quilts with no one in particular in mind. Then if someone sees one of them and says how much they like it I will most likely give it to them. That way I know the quilt will be appreciated.

lisalovesquilting 12-28-2010 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
boy, i TOTALLY AGREE! and to add just a little more...
when i give a loved one a quilt and visit...if i see the kids used their quilts to make a fort (they love making forts...and what ever blanket they can get their hands on works) i was not upset...i helped. sometimes reading peoples posts here really makes me wonder...
what did you make the quilt for? you give it to someone and if they use it...you are mad...it will show signs of being used...heaven forbid...
if they do not use it, but pack it away in a box or chest never (well maybe once in awhile) to be seen again...you are mad...geeze....
if anyone in my family was regularly reading on here they would be so .... confused.... what are we to do with the quilts you give us?
I SAY USE THEM...HOW EVER YOU WANT...IT IS YOURS NOW...
and, if it wears out...YEA! NOW I HAVE REASON TO MAKE YOU ANOTHER ONE! and i've made lots of purses...i make them, i show them to people i (thought) i would give them too.... if i show one and hear...WOW, HOW COOL IS THAT...I LOVE IT...well, that person gets the purse...if the response is more along the line of...OK...nice i guess...do you carry that? well, i know she wasn't as (taken) with it as i am...i don't waste her time with it.
people sometimes seem to put a little too much expectation on others...
if you make quilts you want to give away, but do not want used...tell the person you are giving it to...put it away, and 'show it' once in awhile...if you make a quilt you do want used...tell them when it is worn out you will make another one...then don't get all....indignant when you visit and it is being used...it's not yours any more...your part is over MOVE ON

Well said!

quilt-fanatic 12-28-2010 03:26 AM

Sorry, but if I go to the time and trouble of making you a quilt or wall hanging, it better be on the bed or hanging on the wall! Quilt in avatar was made for niece's wedding. She loves it and wants matching pillow cases.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-28-2010 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by loopywren
I am the kind of person who never seems pleased with gifts but those who give me gifts know me well, and realise I get overwhelmed by kindness and am trying not to cry and don't know what to say. It is not because I don't like the gifts given me the exact opposite.

Awww, that's so sweet!! Love this one :)