Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I doing something wrong? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-doing-something-wrong-t101918.html)

quiltmaker 02-22-2011 05:04 AM

I agree with the answers posted above. There is just not enough time in a day to respond to all the topics on this board and have a life at the same time.

IMHO, I did not realize people felt slighted or would feel slighted if their pictures/posts were not responded to...for me to just respond "beautiful quilt" or something simular when it has been repeated over & over again seems redundant. I don't post pictures but if I did I certainly wouldn't expect kudos for whatever I posted. I come here to learn different approaches by other quilters and respond when I think I might be of help to someone.

I might get slammed for this but to feel I was not appreciated because of not getting a response or not getting enough responses just makes it seem one only comes here for validation instead of being a part of a group that wants to learn (variety of quilting methods/styles) share ideas,experiences and try and help others when you could.

There are so many topics on this board that unless you are able to spend many hours here there is no possible way to wade through everything each and everyday. People are posting all the time and that's how posts go futher down and don't always get viewed by everyone. The Pictures section is wonderful and all the quilts & sometimes other things shown there are fabulous but that doesn't mean I have/need to respond to each and everything as to not hurt the feelings of the poster. I enjoy looking as much as the other person but have found myself staying away from the Pictures section because I don't want to feel like I am obligated to make a response to their beautiful work. To feel unappreciated or slighted because of this just doesn't compute in my world. You are not the first to bring this up and I have seen others concerned their topics were not responded to as much as others were...well, there are thousands of us here and we respond to things that interest us on any given day. As also mentioned many of the topics may not even be opened because of the vague title description and not knowing what the original poster was desiring. Also if you see there are numerous viewers but no reponses then the answer is probably the opener was curious but it wasn't a post they felt they wanted/needed to respond and moved on to a topic they wanted to participate in. There may also be many topics of interest but your answer would be the same as many of the others so you felt it wasn't necessary repeat the same thing. There are as many opinions of this as their are members on this board.

You are not breaking any rules written or unwritten nor is anyone else who doesn't respond to your posts. I am sorry you aren't feeling the love and joy of being on this board. I don't believe anyone is trying to slight you for all the various responses that are already made. This is a very loving, caring, giving group that is simply amazing in all they do for each other no matter what the capacity they are participating in....each and everyone has value to this board. I laugh, cry, empathize, learn, and try to help on this board like everyone else here. Please don't set yourself up with expectations from members who mean no harm to you, who themselves are here for their combined love of the art of quilting and desire to be a part of something greater than themselves.

Whitney60 02-22-2011 05:08 AM

I'm here, mostly looking and reading and learning with my morning coffee. I haven't posted any quilts yet.... need to figure that out and just haven't had the time for that either. YOUR quilt maybe THE quilt that gives someone an idea and you'll never know. Give yourself a pat on the back.

#1piecemaker 02-22-2011 05:21 AM

It is probably the time of day that you are posting. I don't know what time that the newsletter is actually put out but there are so many post now that it doesn't take too long for a post to just move on down the line. Many of mine have not had many responses. And, I think that is the reason. I'm just trying to figure out when the best time to post is. Also, many of my post never make it to the newsletter. I count myself lucky when they do.

Riversong 02-22-2011 05:30 AM

I look at all the pics too,but sometimes I am in a hurry with things that need done,and I dont reply.It happens to all of us. Please dont feel hurt or insulted. This is a wonderful board and you are as important as anyone else! Hugs!

azwendyg 02-22-2011 05:35 AM

Please continue posting pictures of your work! I LIVE to look at pictures of quilters' work on this board. I know I miss a lot of them, and just don't have time to comment on many that I do see (like right now I SHOULD be in the shower getting ready for work...). I'll sure make a point of looking at yours later today when I have a few minutes though.

makakehau 02-22-2011 06:02 AM

No way!
It really must be a coincidence.

When looking at different "rooms" I only go through the first page or two before moving on. Consequently if many have been listed they will move beyond that quickly and I'll probably never see them.

Often times I do post short comments on pictures others have put up, but it's because the picture or something about it has caught my attention in some way. Never do I post just to increase my postings. If someones hard work catches my eye, I think I should let them know their talent is appreciated!

Hang in there... :D
Lori

coffeepot 02-22-2011 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by woody1229
Hi - I've been on this board for nearly a year, and I go on it every day, usually more than once a day, because I love looking at everyone's work and seeing what others are talking about. I respond to other peoples' posts, too, although maybe not as often as others.

But when I post a picture of my latest completed project, I have found that I get a very minimal response from the rest of the board. Most pictures get over 100 responses, many get much more than that, while mine have been averaging under 20. This has happened so many times that I am forced to wonder if there is some unwritten rule I am breaking that I don't know about. I wouldn't ask, except that it happens every time. It's starting to bug me a bit, even hurt my feelings a little.

I love this board, but I'm not really feeling the love in return. Please be honest, is it me?

Mary B.

Hi Mary B. I can tell you right now it's not your quilts in fact I am one of those who usually don't respond. If you are talking about the wedding quilt it was awsome. I just don't say much but I love looking and learning on this site and hope you take in consideration there are alot of people like me that look and admire but just don't say much. Sorry your feelings were hurt. Marilyn

Enchanted Quilter 02-22-2011 07:04 AM

I AM GUILTY . I LOOK AT ALOT OF POST THINK THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL STUNNING BUT NEVER POST. MOST TIMES I AM IN A HURRY . HAVE OTHER THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DONE BUT JSUS HAVE TO LOOK . I BOOKMARK ALOT .

Stitchnripper 02-22-2011 07:06 AM

It's not you. Happens to me, but, then again, I can't respond to everybody's posts either, so I guess it is hit or miss.

michelehuston 02-22-2011 07:07 AM

I don't always post either because I can't wait to see the next idea, noone on this board would ever want anyone to feel slighted. We (me) often just don't think about things like that, and if there are 8 or 10 postings of beautiful work I don't want to duplicate. Think many times we assume that people know how we feel and often times we fail to tell them.
Very sorry you felt hurt!!
Michele