Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-t152977.html)

Edie 09-15-2011 04:16 AM

I have a quilting machine and her name is Nanette!!!!!!!!! Edie

And you can't have her - she's mine!!!!!!

I don't have a machine, no room, no money. But I have the best quilter and I love her work!

ptquilts 09-15-2011 04:22 AM

Don't have one, don't want one. All hand quilting with an occasional tied quilt. I don't think I could stand (literally) at a quilting machine for very long, my back would complain.
And as for trying to do MQ on my DSM, I don't even like wrestling with a pair of jeans when I am trying to patch the knee. Not much room around the machine either.

Someone mentioned on another thread about getting a 12' frame - let's just say my house is only 16' wide!! and only 4 rooms.

angelaz 09-15-2011 04:24 AM

I am so happy that this was brought up. I have been admiring everyones's quilting and feeling overwhelmed and worried that here I was getting into something but because of funds, won't be able to afford to pay someone to quilt a top for me once I invest in the material. Now I learn that i am understanding that people Do quilt on the same machine as they make the tops on and with lots of practice and patience i will be able to accomplish it also. Thank you to everyone who responded to her post.

glorcour 09-15-2011 04:24 AM

Well I am the owner of an Avante which I bought in the spring. I love it and find that with the right batting and design the quilts are not stiff as a board but rather soft and drapy. What I do not have are wrinkles or tucks or bubbles in the back and I no longer have to make a quilt sandwich (I abhorred this). Yes it is a huge investment and you need room for it. I always took large quilts out to a pro and had them done and they are lovely. BUT I really love to complete my own and a LA works for me. I have even done a few already for members of my quilt group and they have paid me. I am not starting a business however.

scrappy2 09-15-2011 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by ragqueen03

Originally Posted by smagruder
We have a store here in Louisville, that will give you lessons and then rent the machine for you to quilt your own. Maybe you could find one in your area.

I was going to suggest the same thing! There is a woman in the area that has "The Sewing Room" - it is not a quilt shop but a Quilting shop! She has everything. I personally have not gone there but I referred a quilting friend and she loved it. Maybe someone in your area has the same thing. I have always told my husband that if we ever win the lottery I would buy a couple of long arms and rent them for people to finish their own quilts.

If I may ask, were in Ohio is The Sewing room?

LisaGibbs 09-15-2011 04:28 AM

I don't have one, I have a regular older Brother and just use a big table when I quilt them. Little harder and I am saving for the one with a bigger area to move the quilt around, until then I just do a lot of rolling, folding, and assistance from the dh.

Suzi 09-15-2011 04:29 AM

No - no long-arm here (or mid-arm for that matter) because we have absolutely no room for one. It would require an add-on to the house and, even though my DH is a Master Carpenter, the cost is prohibitive (both for the room add-on and for the machine). I do simple quilting on one of my DSMs or tie and one day will take the plunge and have Charismah quilt one for me ........... fingers crossed!

Justlucy 09-15-2011 04:41 AM

I do my quilts all by hand also but I tie mine, I would not have the first idea how to quilt them by hand. Tying works fine.

mapleie 09-15-2011 04:43 AM

I just use my old Singer. No room for a long arm.

dolores 09-15-2011 04:44 AM

no I don't have one, maybe someday, if not I will continue to quilt on my home sewing machine