Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another Antiques Roadshow (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-antiques-roadshow-t238771.html)

Lori S 01-14-2014 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6511471)

Thank- you so much for posting the link! Much appreciated.

quiltstringz 01-14-2014 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 6511851)
Why was the bottom row split? As it hung, it looked like 2 of the squares on the bottom row were not attached to the row above.

I saw the end of the appraisal but noticed the split on the bottom row and was curious about this also. DID they mention anything about that earlier in the segment?

I don't think there would be much difference if a Quilt Appraiser valued it. I think this type of quilt really falls more into the Folk Art category.

Cagey 01-14-2014 08:18 AM

That must have been an exciting day. Love that program - even watch the program from England when I can.
Congratulations.

quilter2theend 01-14-2014 02:55 PM

It was a really beautiful quilt and I was wondering the same thing as Weezy Rider, I only caught part of it while cleaning up the kitchen! I sure love it when I see things like quilts on Antiques Roadshow. Did anyone catch the watercolor at the end, insurance value $250,000!!!

Bneighbor 01-14-2014 05:24 PM

I noticed several squares that were not fully attached. Could the squares have been individual finished squares and then butt together and sewn?

carrieg 01-14-2014 05:32 PM

Thanks for posting the link! The quilt was obviously not stored in a wooden chest or it would have stains from that. It was well cared for.

tinliz 01-15-2014 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 6511851)
Why was the bottom row split? As it hung, it looked like 2 of the squares on the bottom row were not attached to the row above.

If you look closer, there are several places where the blocks are coming apart. Also the quilt is not bound with continuous binding. Looks to me like a quilt as you go. Wonder if that was an innovation by the quilter to be able to quilt while she was at sea with her husband. Would like to see it up close and have a look at the back and the quilting.

KyKaren1949 01-15-2014 04:33 AM

Weezy, it was disintegrating. All of the wool used in it was disintegrating as well-probably eaten by moths.

Yooper32 01-15-2014 04:39 AM

All of the red looked to be in very good shape, it was the blue that had deteriorated. I shudder to think if anyone ever tried to wash that quilt, with all that red from that many years ago...you would have a pink quilt. I too wondered about those two bottom blocks and had it in my head that it was constructed that way, but that doesn't make much sense either. ???

RV Quilter 01-15-2014 06:08 AM

They said it was blue wool that had deteriorated and that the cotton was all in good condition. I too noticed the squares at the bottom, but they were never mentioned on the show.